TJ Unlimited Rubicon Front Driveshaft U-Joint

Couple quick pics of how to use a press to remove a joint. Notice that the force is applied outwards versus inwards like ball joint presses and the like do. This is the key to not damaging the yokes.

View attachment 520319

View attachment 520320

Thank you, I would not have thought about doing it that way. That was my concern about damaging the yoke by using a press.

While you’re at it, especially if the history is unknown, you really ought to replace/rebuild the centering ball in the double cardan joint. As TJs get older, stock front driveshaft catastrophic failures are becoming more and more common. I’ve seen way too many pictures of transfer case blood and guts spilled onto the highway lately (and rubicon 241 cases, at that) due to the centering ball seizing while flat towing or highway driving.

Reactions: Rickyd
While you’re at it, especially if the history is unknown, you really ought to replace/rebuild the centering ball in the double cardan joint. As TJs get older, stock front driveshaft catastrophic failures are becoming more and more common. I’ve seen way too many pictures of transfer case blood and guts spilled onto the highway lately (and rubicon 241 cases, at that) due to the centering ball seizing while flat towing or highway driving.
I’m not too familiar with double cardan joint as my YJ didn’t have one. I assume in the picture below there is something besides u-joints that need to be replaced within that joint?

IMG_1131.jpeg

Thank you. I’ll have better understanding of that component / assembly once I decide to change it all out.

Much easier to rebuild than you might think. Its just a little bit of a puzzle game figuring out the order of operations.but nothing hard.

Reactions: Danarch
I wouldn’t think it is to complicated. Guess more interested in how it works / function since I haven’t had one apart.