What amount of miles is too high?

So I checked this jeep out today. Very clean body with NO rust. The check engine light was on and the owner said it’s a p0301 error. It also needs to be primed a few seconds before starting. Something about the fuel injector or fuel pump he said. Also the tires are awful so they will need to be replaced. My gut feeling is that the asking price of 8250 is too high but curious if these are easy fixes

Oh yeah and do you all know what this leak might be? There’s a hose or something above the front axle that looks to be the culprit but I have no idea what it is

IMG_0732.jpeg

IMG_0733.jpeg

FWIW, even when the mileage is in the 150k range, you’re looking at a cooling system, possibly a transmission, looming under the hood, who knows what else, brakes, calipers, fuel pump, electrical garbage, blah blah blah

Reactions: CreepinDeth
FWIW, even when the mileage is in the 150k range, you’re looking at a cooling system, possibly a transmission, looming under the hood, who knows what else, brakes, calipers, fuel pump, electrical garbage, blah blah blah

The radiator was replaced already, fortunately and the transmission shifted fine when we drove it from what I can tell. Still who know what else there could be

Reactions: JMT
Oh yeah and do you all know what this leak might be? There’s a hose or something above the front axle that looks to be the culprit but I have no idea what it is

View attachment 524252

View attachment 524253

I'm skimming the thread, and don't know what year this TJ is. However, the later model TJ's use ATF in place of typical power steering fluid. If the line runs into the power steering pump, it's a power steering line.

This thread is significant-

TJ prices are all over the map-

The knowledge to evaluate a TJ, the job vision it takes to restore it (and know the potential) and the ability to make it all happen can drive the deal.

It is hard to pay too much if you want it and it is nice, and hard to pay too little if circumstances require a lot of time, parts and energy to refurbish it.

In my 5-6 years working with these have seen, both here and personally, a lot of successes. @Hog has been awesome to make good ones great, @ Boogieman buys aggressively and restores beautifully, and on and on.

This forum is a good place to learn.

This thread is significant-

TJ prices are all over the map-

The knowledge to evaluate a TJ, the job vision it takes to restore it (and know the potential) and the ability to make it all happen can drive the deal.

It is hard to pay too much if you want it and it is nice, and hard to pay too little if circumstances require a lot of time, parts and energy to refurbish it.

In my 5-6 years working with these have seen, both here and personally, a lot of successes. @Hog has been awesome to make good ones great, @ Boogieman buys aggressively and restores beautifully, and on and on.

This forum is a good place to learn.

I’m new to this forum and have learned a ton. This community is awesome I gotta say!

@skinnyguinea just a suggestion, when looking at used vehicles I go into it assuming it has had minimal maintenance, nothing above or beyond. The average car owner doesn't even follow the factory schedule, so expect to play catchup on everything. Learn to look for simple signs of poor maintenance or potential issues, like muddy or oily fluid in the cooling system.

Pull the oil fill cap and if you see a foamy goo, that's signs of moisture in the crankcase, which could come from different things.

1714916686519.jpeg

Look in the oil fill and see what the inside of the valve cover looks like. Sludge = skipped oil changes.

1714916883704.jpeg

Look for wet oily differential, pumps and brakes too, which can lead to expensive repairs. If it should be dry, but it's wet, that's an issue.

1714917318602.jpeg

Yup this link worked and thats a good find! Thanks! Im going to try to set up a time to check it out. Is it lame that Im trying to find an automatic? lol I already have a manual and im looking for a different type of drive with this vehicle.

I tend to see a lot more manuals than autos around our parts.

Are you saying to replace the engine??
Is that reasonable if needed?
If its a spare, no need
I have a guy on my gun forum with 433K on his 4.0L

You will replace accessories, fuel injection, sensors, etc
Buying ANY vehicle you need to be sure all sensors are tripped or the seller could be hiding more then what is immediately visible.

Take it to a shop and have them run a scan
Small dealers also pull this BS on unsuspecting buyers

I think the price is high personally