What Can I Do Myself?

Urban Hillbilly

Supporting Member
Brand new member here, but have had an '08 JK since I bought it new in 2007. My daughter just bought a '97 TJ. She's very excited but it has a few more issues than we thought. My Jeep guy just gave it a once over and there's a list of things including oil pan gasket and rear main seal, ball joints, steering and track bar, Ujoints and trans lines. It looks good and only has 105,000 miles.

She doesn't have the money to get this all done and I doubt it needs everything right away. This is not her daily driver, but a fun summer vehicle. I'm no expert but it felt fine driving. The big question is, what can we realistically do ourselves?

I'm very handy and she's a tough kid and game for anything, but I've never gotten into "car stuff". I've built out my JK and F150, but mostly done the bolt on stuff myself and left the more involved things to the shop. I only replaced the brakes on my F150 for the first time recently (easy). That being said, I'll gut a bathroom down to the studs and rebuild it myself, including tiling, drywalling, electric and plumbing. I'll replace a gas water heater, do all my own landscaping, chainsaw all the time and run a variety of rental machines & equipment. I'll build whatever I need, but I've never learned to weld.

If that helps paint a picture, what can I reasonably tackle? I already have tons of tools and I'm willing to buy necessary specialty tools.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to feedback.

Bill

Reactions: Woodrow and JMT
Between this forum and YouTube you can do pretty much anything. With me it comes down to my degree of patience and time as to what I'll do myself, of all that you listed the only thing I have had done is the trans lines. Without a lift, I ran out of both just trying to secure them to the oil pan( I had to fab a missing bracket), took it to my muffler guy.

Bottom line as a friend told me, and I always tell this to myself when I hit a snag, " It's an inanimate object, you can outsmart it". Some of the best advice I've ever gotten.

With some basic tools, jack, jack stands and an engine hoist, you can take a TJ down to the frame.

IMG_0750.jpeg

I was in a similar place when we bought our jeep a few years ago. turned out that I was able to do much myself (for the first time) including replacing track bar, drag link, steering stabilizer and tie rod ends. I haven't done rear main seal but have read here about others doing it themself.

I generally agree with @Peppergat. I bet you can tackle those things you mentioned

Reactions: matkal
Watch YouTube videos and see what you're comfortable doing yourself. I usually get quotes for work I don't want to do, then decide. I was quoted $250 labor to replace my radiator and $350 labor for a fuel pump. Both jobs took me about 1-1.5 hours each and I saved the additional $100 to have my Jeep towed when they failed.

Last edited:
That being said, I'll gut a bathroom down to the studs and rebuild it myself, including tiling, drywalling, electric and plumbing. I'll replace a gas water heater, do all my own landscaping, chainsaw all the time and run a variety of rental machines & equipment. I'll build whatever I need, but I've never learned to weld.

Many of us have started with much less general skills & tools and thanks to the members here and some good videos, have been able todo lifts, cooling system overhauls, etc. In addition to what Boogy said about getting quotes to see if it’s worth the effort, I also look at, how bad will it be if I screw up? Cooling system I can “driveway test”. Brakes, not good for me or the family if I screw it up so I went to a shop

Reactions: TheBoogieman
a list of things including oil pan gasket and rear main seal, ball joints, steering and track bar, Ujoints and trans lines. It looks good and only has 105,000 miles.

Many Jeeps leak oil, if it’s not major, that can be delayed if you check the oil regularly.

U Joints I’s get changed asap. Whatch a video, but this is not hard.

Steering and Track bar, again these are not hard with basic tools, and a hammer.

Anything outside of Floor Jack, Jack Stands and basic tools, you can get for free at AutoZone, Advance Auto or OReillys.

You can do almost anything on TJ's yourself, certainly the items you have listed. Start with the steering, track bar and u joints. Basic hand tools are all that's needed, unbolt and install new parts. Ball joints as well, you can borrow any specialty tools needed for that from your local auto parts supply store.

Before you go for the oil pan gasket and rear main seal first try switching your motor oil to conventional, NOT synthetic or synthetic blend, high mileage oil. It has additives that swell / restore the seals which may be all that's needed to stop the leaking. Also check the valve cover gasket isn't leaking, it's been known to be the actual cause of many apparent RMS leaks. Replacement of valve cover gasket is easy.

Reactions: JMT
Basically every 1997 model vehicle on the planet needs all sorts of attention but it doesn’t need everything replaced- At that point someone needs to consider a new car or at least another car- that’s just describing the playing field.

Now back to TJ’s -all of these are fairly old compared to the average vehicle on the road and the nature of the system is the vehicle is mechanically dense- They have over 40 bushings underneath-

You can do as much as you have confidence and you can gain more confidence right here and you tube-

You’ll end up being a better owner, having a better rig and healthier bank account if you do all yourself that you can.

You will save more than enough for the tools.

It will likely become more than a “task to do”....it can mean some great time with her and be addictive. Highly.

You have been warned.

dont overthink it, working on a older jeep is very simple and parts are generally pretty reasonable. I prefer using Rockauto for my parts purchases.. reasonably priced if you can wait a few days for parts to come in the mail compared to the same items mark up prices at the local auto parts store.

pretty lackluster tools are required to do many of the task too. dont be afraid to buy a few harbor freight tools if you need them, also your local auto parts store has rental tools you can pick up such as a torque wrench to torque the bolts on the rear main seal bearing cap or a ball joint press to remove and replace the ball joints.

If you've got questions on how to begin or where to start or what to do if you come up in a bind.. the members on here are happy to point you in the right direction.

Reactions: AndyG
Brand new member here, but have had an '08 JK since I bought it new in 2007. My daughter just bought a '97 TJ. She's very excited but it has a few more issues than we thought. My Jeep guy just gave it a once over and there's a list of things including oil pan gasket and rear main seal, ball joints, steering and track bar, Ujoints and trans lines. It looks good and only has 105,000 miles.

She doesn't have the money to get this all done and I doubt it needs everything right away. This is not her daily driver, but a fun summer vehicle. I'm no expert but it felt fine driving. The big question is, what can we realistically do ourselves?

I'm very handy and she's a tough kid and game for anything, but I've never gotten into "car stuff". I've built out my JK and F150, but mostly done the bolt on stuff myself and left the more involved things to the shop. I only replaced the brakes on my F150 for the first time recently (easy). That being said, I'll gut a bathroom down to the studs and rebuild it myself, including tiling, drywalling, electric and plumbing. I'll replace a gas water heater, do all my own landscaping, chainsaw all the time and run a variety of rental machines & equipment. I'll build whatever I need, but I've never learned to weld.

If that helps paint a picture, what can I reasonably tackle? I already have tons of tools and I'm willing to buy necessary specialty tools.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to feedback.

Bill

As others have said, with your starting skill set and desire you can do all of that and more. This forum and youtube are phenomenal resources. 5 years ago, my automotive skillset wasn’t so different than what you describe and there isn’t much I haven’t done on my on TJ at this point. If it drives fine and is safe, I’d drive it a bit to get to know it then start picking away at it. One disadvantage you may have your rust belt location. That will likely make everything a little more challenging on her almost 30 year old Jeep.

You can accomplish anything. This forum is the best Tj resource in the world and you will find all the information needed to do it.

Between this forum and YouTube you can do pretty much anything.

This forum is the best. What people post here is pretty high up on the chart of avoiding BS compared to other sites.

And YouTube is certainly YouTube where everything, but almost NOTHING can be trusted. It is not a bad place to go for videos about repairing a TJ, or anything, just don't go looking for that stuff until you have a pretty good idea of what you're really trying to do.

Also keep in mind any comments or questions you see here about being topless are a regarding the Jeep.

That does "paint a picture" but "Who is the artist? We gotta agree"

Oops maybe that video wasn't needed but I think this is:
This thread is worthless without pics ...of the Jeep

Reactions: TheBoogieman
This forum is the best. What people post here is pretty high up on the chart of avoiding BS compared to other sites.

And YouTube is certainly YouTube where everything, but almost NOTHING can be trusted. It is not a bad place to go for videos about repairing a TJ, or anything, just don't go looking for that stuff until you have a pretty good idea of what you're really trying to do.

Also keep in mind any comments or questions you see here about being topless are a regarding the Jeep.

Agree on the questioning the trust of random YouTube videos. Pretty good otherwise to watch see a basic walkthrough of the job on what you'll be up against before you blindly start yourself.

Remember, I'm a long time JK owner. If I haven't learned my lessons by now, it's not going to happen.

I like the idea of her putting some sweat equity into it and understanding the vehicle much better.

Thank you

I've fixed a lot of things and saves tons of money by watching YouTube videos. Heck, my wife got my parents boiler going again by watching a YouTube video when I was out of town. But I know better than to take everything at face value. Thanks.

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ
Many Jeeps leak oil, if it’s not major, that can be delayed if you check the oil regularly.

U Joints I’s get changed asap. Whatch a video, but this is not hard.

Steering and Track bar, again these are not hard with basic tools, and a hammer.

Anything outside of Floor Jack, Jack Stands and basic tools, you can get for free at AutoZone, Advance Auto or OReillys.

That's what I do with my JK. Thanks for the advice on where to start. I got a floor jack, jack stands and every basic tool you can imagine. Thank you.

You might not want to do the rear main seal yourself as it involves removing the bearing cap and is a delicate operation.But all the rest is easily doable for a guy that is handy with tools.

Make sure you use spicer balljoints if it really needs them. No other brand lasts as long.check inside the frame for rust and imbetween the skid and frame. It'll help you gauge how much money you want to put into that tj if a frame swap is out of the picture

Looks like a fun jeep!