Which Fuel Pump Manufacturer?

Bowhunter

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I need to replace my fuel pump because I lose fuel pressure after the Jeep sits for a minute. I saw threads on here where the Bosch used to be recommended when they made the entire assembly. Then I saw Delphi recommended as a next best.

Researching on Amazon, the Delphi Pump has a 3.5 stars and is $136. The other no name pumps like in the attached picture have better reviews and cost about half the price. Has anyone given these a shot?

I think the check valve in my pump is nearing the end of its life so I was planning on just replacing the whole pump

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Fuel+pump+97+wrangler&ref=nb_sb_noss_2&tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MYW9PY6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Delphi is likely the best option. I’m in the process of replacing the fuel pump in my ‘05 right now and with all the quirks of the ‘05-‘06 TJs, this is the only time I think we’re lucky. I was able to get an OE Bosch fuel pump and it’s nearly identical in every way to the one I removed. The only difference seems to be the original has faded to yellow. I think I paid $189.

Reactions: rasband
Amazon reviews are generally useless but only a few people here have had success with the Delphi and I'd hardly call it the go to brand. I'd bet any of the others will work just fine too. Although I'd avoid Autozone and duralast the others will probably work great as well.

Is it possible to put a check valve in the fuel line someplace rather than dropping the tank and replacing the fuel pump assembly? Has anyone on the forum tried?

Just askin' in case there is a relatively inexpensive workaround or "fix" to this.

Reactions: 5632
Is it possible to put a check valve in the fuel line someplace rather than dropping the tank and replacing the fuel pump assembly? Has anyone on the forum tried?

Just askin' in case there is a relatively inexpensive workaround or "fix" to this.
Ideally you would want it between the pump outlet on the tank and the flex fuel line that goes over to the frame hardline. That sucks because the pump outlet is not the same size as the hardline. Pump is 3/8" and hardline is 5/16".

What I'm finding is a fuel check that is for one or the other, neither QD style.

I need to replace my fuel pump because I lose fuel pressure after the Jeep sits for a minute. I saw threads on here where the Bosch used to be recommended when they made the entire assembly. Then I saw Delphi recommended as a next best.

Researching on Amazon, the Delphi Pump has a 3.5 stars and is $136. The other no name pumps like in the attached picture have better reviews and cost about half the price. Has anyone given these a shot?

I think the check valve in my pump is nearing the end of its life so I was planning on just replacing the whole pump

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Fuel+pum..._noss_2&tag=wranglerorg-20?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MYW9PY6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

You may have already considered this but it could be your fuel pressure regulator on top of the tank. I was having the same problem a couple of years ago and I replaced the pump based off things I read. It made no difference. I replaced the pressure regulator and its been fine ever since. Only recommendation I would give if you do replace it is order OEM.

I just bought the complete Delphi pump module assembly on Rock Auto 2 days ago for $184.99... hope it’s a good one ... Delphi has always served us well on other parts non Jeep related...

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Dumb question, I see a lot of mention about Bosch or Delphi. What is wrong with the Mopar OE unit? I see Mopar 5161335AI can be had for around $200 (I have an 05).

Dumb question, I see a lot of mention about Bosch or Delphi. What is wrong with the Mopar OE unit? I see Mopar 5161335AI can be had for around $200 (I have an 05).

I think most of the posts above are earlier TJ owners, which use different parts.

Reactions: FTI76