Tire carrier cargo basket mount

DreadPirateRoberts

Looking for some input. I plan on mounting this cargo basket to my tire carrier mount by welding it to this bracket I found. I would like to weld it at the end of hitch insert so the rear window can open. Like so:
IMG_7629.jpeg

However, I’m worried about the weight being levered so far out over the rear when it’s loaded and bouncing around.
Should I mount it further in, toward the window, so the weight will be more centered over the tire? Like so:
IMG_7631.jpeg

I’d like to be able to open the window, but don’t want to break swing post off my tire carrier when I load dead elk quarters on it. Anyone have any input?

I'm working on getting rid of my swinging tire carrier and all the junk I've got cluttering the back.

It's a complete pia to get into the back of my Jeep.

-Mac

Reactions: DC0046
Why does the position of the rack affect the opening of the window?
It has to be swung open either way.
I would push the rack as close to the window as possible, allowing for bounce.

When

when you swing open the tire carrier, the passenger side of the cargo rack swings back in toward the window, preventing it from lifting up. If I position it further away then there’s enough clearance to open. I just worry that it’ll be too much stress on the hinge when there’s weight in the basket and it’s an extra 8 inches hanging over the back. I’m not even sure what the weight capacity of the tire carrier is.

I'm working on getting rid of my swinging tire carrier and all the junk I've got cluttering the back.

It's a complete pia to get into the back of my Jeep.

-Mac

I can understand that. I think functionally a roof rack is more suited for my needs but they’re much more pricey, and I don’t like the look or wind noise of most of the ones for TJ’s.

Reactions: macleanflood
I think functionally a roof rack is more suited for my needs but they’re much more pricey, and I don’t like the look or wind noise of most of the ones for TJ’s.
How about mounting the existing rack on easily removable roof racks like thule or? Reasonably affordable on ebay or Craigslist. And since you already have the rack you'd just need the feet, gutter sections, and bars. The only time you'd have any wind noise is when it absolutely needs to be attached, other than that a couple gutter sections is all that would be on your roof. You could take the whole shooting match off at camp or home in <5 minutes. The gutter sections can later double as lifting points for roof removal.

Take care, Rob

How about mounting the existing rack on easily removable roof racks like thule or? Reasonably affordable on ebay or Craigslist. And since you already have the rack you'd just need the feet, gutter sections, and bars. The only time you'd have any wind noise is when it absolutely needs to be attached, other than that a couple gutter sections is all that would be on your roof. You could take the whole shooting match off at camp or home in <5 minutes. The gutter sections can later double as lifting points for roof removal.

Take care, Rob

So I like that idea a lot more, but haven’t seen rack mounts that just use the gutters on the hard top. All the ones I’ve seen have a strap that goes down the side of the rear window or some other attachment.