03-04 inner shifter boot fix

Gunnersmate

TJ Enthusiast
Alright all I believe I have solved the inner shifter boot problem as the original part is no longer available, so after countless hours using my google fu, a substitute for the unobtanium shifter boot problem may have been solved for a mere 14.00 bucks

Now its colder than a well diggers ass here so when it warms up I will confirm my findings, so without further delay the part which is readily available is an inner shifter boot for a 1979-2004 mustang, the retainer ring pictured with the shift boot is my factory jeep retainer ring
IMG_3996.JPG
IMG_3998.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: RMETeeJay
My personal preference was to use my old retaining ring flange and get the inner boot located back to as close to the original position as possible

as you can see in the picture the left to right play is pretty much fixed but the forward to back positioning has about 1/2 to 3/4 inch adjustment
IMG_3998.JPG

Would that work for an '06? Had some mice move in in the fall and decided that was the perfect entrance for them. Ate an entire ring or two out of the boot for a nice roomy basement retreat.

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ
Would that work for an '06? Had some mice move in in the fall and decided that was the perfect entrance for them. Ate an entire ring or two out of the boot for a nice roomy basement retreat.
Boot for an 06 is completely different, as mentioned above they murder you on them too. I paid $122 for this...
A6BD4A03-9BA1-4C20-9041-BC5D6386ECA8.jpeg

You Might be able to use the part above pictured in the bag with the flange but your tunnel cover looks like it will need modified

Alright here is the completed shifter boot installed this an easy fix for anyone needing to do this
IMG_4011.JPG

Rubber boot installed on original retainer ringer used gorilla grip super glue and i razor knife to trim

IMG_4014.JPG

Missing one screw was missing when I took it apart
IMG_4012.JPG

Hole for shifter coming thru boot is a shade large than it needs to be
IMG_4013.JPG

Reactions: RMETeeJay
Overall well since I did not even have a shifter boot this a 100% improvement
Hole for shifter is a little large
Easy install so easy a blind monkey could do this
tools needed nut driver, razor blade, razor knife and super glue
it is just a little snug when dropped into the bottom shift position but i bet a short throw shifter would resolve that also i could have moved the boot down the retainer ring a 1/2 inch or so

great idea thanks.
both of mine and the outer mount are trash, this thread motivated Me to fix them.

I'd hit that metal with a bit of sandpaper and some Rustolium primer and paint. It looks pretty rusty to me. But I'm from NY where everything looks rusty.

Reactions: 1o1proof
Thanks for the thread, I just ordered new inner and outer shifter boots for my 2003.

I'll see how the Mustang boot works with the flange since my original parts are in storage in a different state. Which is why I also need a new outer boot too