04 Jeep TJ shaking under load

Lucky!

Could use some guidance. I have an 04 Jeep TJ that is shaking under load. It's been to the mechanic and while he's good at installing some of the parts I don't have the time to do on my own, however he's having trouble diagnosing my current issue. When idling the jeep runs fine, no noises in the engine compartment, however when driving the jeep wants to shake apart. Having read other threads and the fact that all the steering and stabilizing components have been replaced and tested several times I'm wondering if it could be a fuel issue. I've already ordered a new fuel pump to install along with O2 sensors just in case. The spark plugs and fuel injectors are new and not throwing a code, they are champion plugs. Was also running fine after install of those components. This is a newer issue; it did sit for a couple of years before I purchased so not surprised it's having some initial issues. Thanks.

Have you hooked it up to a scanner that can read live data? That’s the very first thing I would do so you can see in real-time what’s going on.

Reactions: flyinfish
Have you hooked it up to a scanner that can read live data? That’s the very first thing I would do so you can see in real-time what’s going on.

The mechanic did, no misfiring or codes. I have a scanner and will run it to see if any pops up.

The mechanic did, no misfiring or codes. I have a scanner and will run it to see if any pops up.

If it's not showing up on a scan tool with real-time data, my guess is it could be a vibration related issue related to a driveshaft that needs balancing, a wheel(s) that need balancing, or if it's an automatic it could even be related to a shudder that occurs when O/D locks up.

In other words, I am guessing it's a driveline vibration. If it were fuel related it would certainly show up on a scanner in real-time.

Have you checked the engine mounts? If you rev the engine while stationary does the engine move?

Does the vibration happen at a specific speed and always the same speed? I had that at 65MPH, really bad, it was the wheels that needed balancing.

Andy

I had crazy vibration under load when trying to go in reverse. It was related to auto transmission not holding Low/Reverse band properly.
Is the shaking happens in different speeds? Like if you release the throttle does, the shaking go away? If it is related to transmission, as in my case, when there is no load, the shaking would disappear.
I ended up replacing the transmission, BTW.
I have 2004 4.0, 42RLE transmission.

Could a faulty Throttle Position Sensor cause this? I’m not saying it is faulty, but it is original to the car.

I had crazy vibration under load when trying to go in reverse. It was related to auto transmission not holding Low/Reverse band properly.
Is the shaking happens in different speeds? Like if you release the throttle does, the shaking go away? If it is related to transmission, as in my case, when there is no load, the shaking would disappear.

Quick update: I finally got a chance to look at it. Idling perfect, no shaking whatsoever when revving engine. When accelerating is where it happens, when taking foot off gas it goes back to smooth. Probably not the cause but I do have a new throttle position sensor and plan to throw that on there. I’m wondering if it could be a bad fuel pump.

Checked trans mount, seems rock solid. No movement and I was shaking the heck out of it to see if there was any play.

Here’s a couple pics of trans mount. Bolts are tight and rubber inside mount looks good. Is it odd that it’s at angle?

IMG_2404.jpeg

IMG_2400.jpeg

Motor mounts, trans mount, bad u-joint.

He is correct- normally a u joint - and if its the front- be all over it.

Keep in mind you can selectively pull the driveshafts and check.

He is correct- normally a u joint - and if its the front- be all over it.

Keep in mind you can selectively pull the driveshafts and check.
Front driver’s side pic. Been sitting in garage for a few days. Other side is completely dry.

IMG_2405.jpeg

Front driver’s side pic. Been sitting in garage for a few days. Other side is completely dry.

View attachment 437942

At a glance looks like gear oil, from a failed axle seal-

normally axle u joints act up more when turning - may be related but may be a separate concern-

I had the same thing happen to me after I replaced my rear springs. The rear pinion angle was off. Dropped the skid plate an 1-1/2” and it went away.
Maybe you can remove the rear drive shaft and take it for a spin and see if it goes away.

At a glance looks like gear oil, from a failed axle seal-

normally axle u joints act up more when turning - may be related but may be a separate concern-

I had a feeling it was the axle seal. My bigger issue is the shaking when under load, even when driving straight, so not sure it’s a u-joint especially since a licensed mechanic looked at them as well.