05 TJ on the horizon

KenR955

Guys,
My return to TJ land is moving forward. I have found an 05. 145,000 miles
Pix will be added when I can get them off my phone.

The Good:
No rust I can find. None on the frame, none on the tub, none at all.
5 almost new tires on 17" aluminum rims
It's Electric Lime Green. For me, that is good, others, not so much
Runs strong (for a 2.4)
6 speed
Clean interior, new seat covers.

The normal:
Runs, starts, stops. Radio, a/c & 4wd works as it should.

The bad:
4 cylinder. While the 2.4 goes a little faster than the 2.5, it's still kinda slow.
The transmission pops out of first gear with alarming regularity. If I hold pressure on the shifter, it pops out of first less often, but it still tries to.
Front pinion seal leaks. R&R the seal.
the P0216 code shows up every so often and the current owners have everything they can think of to fix it, to no avail.
The rear of the engine of coated with oil, as if the front of the bell housing. Rear main?
The clutch makes noise ( rattley, solid sound, not a hollow rattle) that went away with the clutch pedal held to the floor.

I am asking for suggestions on what could be wrong and how to fix it.
Also asking for an approximate value.

Many thanks,
KenR955

Reactions: Chris
First let me ask you this, how much are you getting it for?

I'm asking because it sounds like there's a lot of issues and that it likely needs a new transmission.

Here are the pix I have.

0425220948a.jpg

0425220948.jpg

Chris,
The jury is still out when it comes to the purchase price. I am concerned about the trans, the clutch noise and the oil leak (possible rear main seal)

It almost certainly needs a new transmission and a rear main seal, so I'd factor that in for sure.

Dang is the market that high right now? I paid 12,300 for my 04 Rubicon with 87k miles two years ago. You lost me at 2.4. Personally, I think it's not worth 11,500 considering the engine, miles, half doors, top, and issues, even if it is clean and rust free. It's hard to give you a value estimate considering everything's inflated right now and prices vary widely by region and even state. My advice is don't get rose-colored glasses. Be patient, there's definitely got to be something better out there.

Reactions: KenR955
yeah to me $11500 is too high even if it was a 4.0 with a working tranny. I would keep on looking. I would think maybe $6K at most but you will still be in it for $7500 with a new tranny plus everything else that it might need

Reactions: KenR955