06 2.4 towing capacity

Guitarguy

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys! I've got an 06 with the 2.4 and a 6 speed manual. I've heard that TJs can only tow 1,000 lbs but I was wondering if any of you have had any experience towing with that craptastic little 4 banger. My folks just got 2 jet skis and between those and the trailer, the toolbox on the trailer, and the 4 gas cans we have strapped to it, it's probably about 1,500 lbs all together. I'm sure I could get the jet skis to the lake which is only 15 minutes away, my concern is getting them back out of the water at the end of the day. Im betting my best shot is putting it in 4x4 low and doing some praying. Any thoughts?

15 minutes by highway, 15 minutes by interstate, 15 minutes by dirt road? I don't think you'll have an issue if you tow a short distance at 40-50 mph if you take stopping and turning slow plus avoid sudden merging and lane changes. Unless your weight estimates are low and it's more like 2000-2500 lbs because you loaded up some gas cans and the back of the Jeep with stuff for the day.

In and out of the lake depends on the ramp. With jet skis you probably don't need to get the entire back tires in to get it to float off the front like a boat. Jet skis are easier to push around or drag up on the trailer with a winch. If you have a winch on the Jeep, you can get someone to block your tires if you run into trouble and feel like you're going in the drink, then winch yourself out.

My brother's boat is so big, he has the kids stand next to the truck with logs to block the wheels when he backs into the lake. And he's pulling it with a Dodge 3500 1 ton dually truck. The last ramp we used he had to put it in 4wd lo and crawl out because there was slick moss on the boat ramp.

Last edited:
I don't have a winch on the Jeep but it's 15 minutes on a back road doing 45-55. However, here in the part of Missouri I'm in, it is fairly hilly so I'm sure I'll be downshifting a fair bit. There is a relatively shallow ramp I could definitely use.

My brother towed a 25 foot travel trailer home with his V6 Ford Ranger. 1986 vintage I believe. Didn't have the right tow ball either so the trailer could literally lift completely off while hooked up. IIRC max tow was 3,000 lb-ish. How it worked out I still have no idea. Would I suggest it? Hell no. Would I pull the jet ski trailer for 15 minutes? Yea. Put the weight in the Jeep when pulling up and out the boat ramp. Have the tires aired up. Have a friend follow behind you on the road so any problems can be planned for.