14 Bolt Front Axles

B00mb00m

The Church of Cutting Brakes of Atlas-Front Digs
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I'm seeing lots of options of 14 bolt front axles, pure beef 4" tubes but haven't seen anyone run them in LJ. Is anyone here running a 14Bolt front? Is it just that they take up too much space (Fusion quotes their 13 bolt shave has more clearance than a Dana 60)? Is it because they're low-pinion?

1. $1350 - ECGS 14b steerer: https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-19763386-gm-14-bolt-front-axle-shaved.html
  2. $7600 complete axle. 14 bolt kingpin from Fusion: https://www.fusion4x4.com/online-st...Big-Tube-14-Bolt-Complete-Assembly-p146951745.
  3. Crane axle with kingpin @ WOD: https://www.wideopendesign.com/cran...ousing-with-kingpin-60-inner-c-s-and-knuckles
They're in ballpark of same cost as a rockjock but with USA castings (I recall hearing RJ went to Chinese castings?).
1594239266372.png

On Pirate, there is a TJ build called Dookey's Revenge. He used a front 14 bolt from Torq if I recall correctly.

attachment.jpg

On Pirate, there is a TJ build called Dookey's Revenge. He used a front 14 bolt from Torq if I recall correctly.

View attachment 175407
That looks like a fabricated housing, doesn't that make it not a 14-bolt? 14-bolt nomenclature coming from # of differential cover fastener #. Maybe he is using the 14-bolt gearset?

That looks like a fabricated housing, doesn't that make it not a 14-bolt? 14-bolt nomenclature coming from # of differential cover fastener #. Maybe he is using the 14-bolt gearset?

Yep, definitely not a standard 14 bolt. I just remember his build having something that might be similar to what you are looking for in there, so maybe it could be of some use.

This is what he had listed in his for sale ad a few years back:

FRONT AXLE
Torq Axle 14 Bolt drop-out with Torq Axle custom housing. (Everything 100% Brand new when built)
Torq 14 bolt drop out
Wide Open Design custom truss
Reid Inner C’s(Dana 70 forgings)
Solid GM Dana 60 Knuckles
Artec High steer arms keyed to solid knuckles
Reid Solid Bronze king pin bushings
5.38 Gears with solid pinion spacer. Sierra Gears
High Angle Drive Line 1410 Pinion flange
ARB Air Locker
4340 Chromoly Inner axle shaft
Yukon Super Joints
4340 Chromoly Outer axle shaft
TWF Dana 60 Drive flanges
Yukon Hardcore Dana 60 Lock outs
Off Road Gear Dana 60 Brake Caliper brackets
Wilwood 6 Piston Calipers
Wilwood 14” Street Rotors
PSC Full Hydraulic Steering with custom tie rods. Linked to Artec high steer arms in double sheer.

i think the biggest issue with a front 14 bolt in a tj is just how massive the casting is. you'd limit your uptravel just due to the mammoth nature of the center section, it is stupid heavy, and unless you're running 42"+ tires with significant hp there are better options such as the high pinion super 60, hp 60, gearworks 10" high 9. what kind of setup are you planning aside from the axles?

Reactions: Mumblewood
i think the biggest issue with a front 14 bolt in a tj is just how massive the casting is. you'd limit your uptravel just due to the mammoth nature of the center section, it is stupid heavy, and unless you're running 42"+ tires with significant hp there are better options such as the high pinion super 60, hp 60, gearworks 10" high 9. what kind of setup are you planning aside from the axles?
It's hard to judge scale online. Been wheeling with bigger rigs and so been reading about 1 ton options for future unplanned, if I was doing tons I would be doing V8 also. Mainly wondering why I didn't see a lot of them on tjs but a lot on buggies.

The fusion kingpin looks like a sweet axle and decent price for 1 ton steerer.

I think it comes down to them just not fitting. As 4speed said you will seriously limit your up travel with that HUGH diff bulge. Look at my build and even with the HP44 it is almost hitting the oil pan. The upper link for the front 3 link hits the motor mount just before the diff would hit the pan. Now I have to have 10" of space between my upper and lower spring pads because of the air bags. And I am right there with how I have things laid out right now. If I had a Dana 60 front I'd either have to move the axle farther forward or limit my up travel.

4x4 Extreme built a 14 bolt front but he was building it for the Goatbuilt buggy he was building.

It's hard to judge scale online. Been wheeling with bigger rigs and so been reading about 1 ton options for future unplanned, if I was doing tons I would be doing V8 also. Mainly wondering why I didn't see a lot of them on tjs but a lot on buggies.

The fusion kingpin looks like a sweet axle and decent price for 1 ton steerer.
next time you're out with a group grab your tape measure and a notepad. take some quick measurements of a few centersections if you can; not just from centerline down but from centerline up, overall width of the pumpkin and any others that would help you compare. see if you can get a 14 bolt, aam 11.5, sterling, ford 9", and a dana 44. That should be a decent representative sample of your average assortment of wheelers. from there you can assess your space and what will have the most strength and fit well.

*minor hijack* @Wildman you mind sending me a few pics of the fitment for your hp44 and aproximate lift height/suspension style? im in the process of getting things lined up to toss one in the front of my tj

*minor hijack* @Wildman you mind sending me a few pics of the fitment for your hp44 and aproximate lift height/suspension style? im in the process of getting things lined up to toss one in the front of my tj

Look in my build thread I just posted a few pictures of the front axle and engine.

Reactions: 4speedhandler
Thought I read somewhere the sheer size of the 14 bolt made locating control arms and springs real touch and go. I also read we were going into an ice age back in the 70's though 🤔

If I had a Dana 60 front I'd either have to move the axle farther forward or limit my up travel.

4x4 Extreme built a 14 bolt front but he was building it for the Goatbuilt buggy he was building.
Of course, any upsizing in axles requires a new setup to optimize up-travel, I have gone through this as well.

It's the buggy sites I was perusing, WideOpenDesigns and GoatBuilt that show a lot of 14 bolt usage. The buggies I have seen locally , many have used Spidertrax and a lot of them are on Portal outers.

IMG_20200626_192243.jpg

Yes I think the axle choices has to do with locations and type of terrain being wheeled.
IMHO unless you plan to go bigger than 40's a built HP44 is fine for the front. I'm talking about one with C's that will accept bigger BJ's and hubs. And a axle of your choice in the rear.
And speaking of that I have a Dana 60 low pinion rear that needs to be retubed you can have. With your OK it should be fine.

Figure out what you're doing with your Jeep and then figure out how to meet that goal. Right now it sounds like you're trying to find an axle and then you'll figure out what kind of wheeling you want to do. A lot of the companies and builds mentioned in this thread don't do what you want to do.

Reactions: Goatman and Wildman
Don't get caught up in the Big Dog syndrome. I know you wheel with guys with some built rigs but as Tox said figure out what you want and then go for it.

Reactions: Goatman
Most everyone I wheel with has a 14b rear and a kingpin Dana 60 front. They also run 40"+ stickies and trailer their rigs to each event. They can do more than I can with my measly 35" KM2s and Dana 30/44 combo, but I hang with them for the most part of the day and watch them do the crazy stuff I wouldn't want to do even if my Jeep could handle it.

Figure out what you're doing with your Jeep and then figure out how to meet that goal. Right now it sounds like you're trying to find an axle and then you'll figure out what kind of wheeling you want to do. A lot of the companies and builds mentioned in this thread don't do what you want to do.

Oh totally, you're spot-on. This is just me fucking around on the internet, I don't plan on cutting anything off that I just finished for a while!!

Im like scoping out of I wanted to run with the big dogs what would I want to do.

So past month or so every time I'm wheeling I've been watching the buggies and I've been trying to understand what they're using and why and how well it works. I don't want a buggy tho, not ever in my current vision because I like to go fast on forest roads also and drive on the street. It would be cool to steal some of the things the buggies do and mesh it with the things jeeps do and come out with a kick ass Jeeggy that is licensed for street.

So past month or so every time I'm wheeling I've been watching the buggies and I've been trying to understand what they're using and why and how well it works. I don't want a buggy tho, not ever in my current vision because I like to go fast on forest roads also and drive on the street. It would be cool to steal some of the things the buggies do and mesh it with the things jeeps do and come out with a kick ass Jeeggy that is licensed for street.
Have you seen the WOD TJ/LJ chassis kit? It looks to be exactly what you’re dreaming of

Reactions: 4speedhandler
Have you seen the WOD TJ/LJ chassis kit? It looks to be exactly what you’re dreaming of
Ya WOD and Goatbuilt seem to subscribe to go fast climb rocks and use 14 bolts hahah.