1998 TJ 4.0 transmission oil weight

jeep 54

Hi Everyone, I had to have my throw out bearing changed so I took it in to have it done. Had a new clutch and all done right away. They put 10w30 Synth in the trans for oil. It has been shifting hard in the winter until it warms up for a while. But go's into 2nd gear hard in the summer its better. Was wondering if I should put the 75w80 red line or royal purple in it. I am changing it again. Dodge said just run 10 w 30 synth in it. Do you think it would shift better with the heavy 75w80 in it? That is pretty thick oil if I remember right. Has 145,000 miles and is stock and runs great. What do you good people think?

The AX-15 requires a GL-4 75W-90 or a GL-5 version of the 75W-90 only if that GL-5 specifically says "Safe for yellow metals" on the back label. Or the equivalent like Redline MT-90 which is a synthetic GL-4 75W-90. Since a GL-4 75W-90 is typically hard to find, Aisin, who made the AX-15 and AX-15 transmissions, has approved the use of a synthetic 10W-30 in it. I would not use a 75W-80 or overpriced Royal Purple unless it's a GL-4 75W-90 or a GL-5 stated safe for use with yellow metals (synchros).

Jerry Thankyou so much. I live in West Fargo ND and it gets cold here. I may have to have my Manual trans rebuild. I think thats the main problem. Jerry Thankyou so much again and for replying so fast. Take Care.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford