1998 TJ cranks but won't start

aquaholic

Hi all. I have a1998 TJ Wrangler that cranks but won’t start. I’ve always had some trouble starting it. Usually have to crank it for a few seconds and then turn key off and the second time it usually starts. This particular time it started but was running rough. I drive it a couple miles to store. When I headed home it took quite a few tries before it finally started. Ran rough and I noticed the brake pedal was very stiff. I did a little research and found out a vacuum line was probably the culprit. I did find a vacuum hose that was off and reattached it but not the motor will crank but won’t start up. I even tried taking the hose off again but that didn’t work. Any ideas?

Electrical or fuel related maybe. Squirt some starting fluid in the throttle body, if it starts or sounds like it will, I’d start there. If you get nothing, check if you’re getting spark at the plugs then troubleshoot from there.

Before the first start after it has been sitting a while, preferably overnight, try this before trying to start it. Turn the ignition switch on-off-on a dozen times, leaving it in the On position 2 seconds each time before cycling it off then back on. Do not attempt to start it before that 12th cycle.

Then try starting it. If it starts right up your fuel pump has a leaky check valve inside. Replace the fuel pump to fix it.

Reactions: Chris
Agreed. Try and put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and see what it says. Might need a buddy to watch the gauge as you cycle the key. That should tell you if it is a fuel problem.