1999 Jeep engine idle issues and gear engaging issues

BlaneCornett

I have a 1999 Wrangler TJ Sport and for the last few months, I have been having some issues with the engine as well as some gears not fully engaged(?) when I shift into them. The first thing I'll explain is the engine issue. Most of the time it runs fine, but every 3-4 times I drive it, the idle jumps around. It will hover around 1k rpm, then drop to around 400-600, then it feels like the engine catches itself, and revs itself to about 1200-1300 rpm, then settle itself out. It will do this for a few minutes and go away, or when I begin to drive it around, it will start to go away. Any idea what could be going on? Could it be the ECU malfunctioning or could it be something mechanical in the idle?

Now for the more interesting issue. Around 25% of the time, whenever I shift into second gear, it feels like the engine and the transmission(?)/clutch(?) are not on the same page, and the jeep will get some power down, then I'll stop getting power, the car will throw me forward since I'm trying to accelerate in a low gear. When it tries to engage, the engine will sputter and backfire and make other unpleasant noises. This will happen repeatedly if i do not release the gas pedal and shift into another gear. It has begun to do this on first and third gear as well, making it almost undriveable and dangerous if I cannot find a gear that will give me power. The only way I have found to get the gear to fully engage is to engage the clutch, rev the engine high to about 3k-4k rpm, let out the clutch, and let the gear engage in a higher rpm. I don't like to do this because it puts a lot of strain on the car.

I have had this jeep at a local trusted shop multiple times over the last few months and either they can't replicate the problem consistently or figure out what is going on. I would like to know if you guys have experienced anything similar or possible know what do about it. My family is on the edge of selling it as is, but if it's able to be fixed, then we can still use it and sell it later as a fully working vehicle.

Maybee clean you air idler. Use the search tool on this site for a write up.