1999 TJ 2.5 5-speed sputters, idles rough, and cuts off

breebowman

Lengthy but wanted to be detailed

I have 1999 2.5 Tj 5 speed.. it’s been giving me issues lately such as
  • Sputter when accelerating
  • rough idle
  • Randomly cuts off (that just started)
My bf and I originally thought the fuel pump was going bad since its more than likely had the original fuel pump. We just replaced that about 2 days ago. For the 1st day or so it ran and idled perfect. On about day 2, it ran fine but randomly cut off on me (2nd time doing that. 1st time before new fuel pump) I thought maybe i stalled (i was just hoping for that really). However, i gave her another go today. When i first took off it sputtering in 2nd and also had a little back fire. I made it to work okay. Before leaving work i wanted to see how it idled. First minute or so it idled nicely but then it started to idle a little rough again. On my way home, it drove okay for about 3 miles (road has multiple hills). Then it started to sputter pretty bad, wouldn’t really accelerate too much. This time was maybe the worst it’s ever sputtered. As i was turning into my drive way, it shut off on me.

If the fuel pump is brand new..Is there any other idea of what it could be? Ive heard it could be a weak ignition, i’ve also heard it could be others. However, i’m trying to figure out what else it could it be? Has anyone else had similar issues to this and how can i resolve it? I want to get her running good so i can actually enjoy being a first time jeep owner.

PLEASE HELP

Reactions: Wheeler
I'm having the same issue. I've replaced both O2 sensors, throttle position sensor, and crankshaft sensor with no change. I feel your pain!

• rough idle
My bf and I originally thought the fuel pump was going bad since its more than likely had the original fuel pump. We just replaced that about 2 days ago. For the 1st day or so it ran and idled perfect. On about day 2, it ran fine but randomly cut off on me (2nd time doing that. 1st time before new fuel pump) I thought maybe i stalled (i was just hoping for that really). However, i gave her another go today. When i first took off it sputtering in 2nd and also had a little back fire. I made it to work okay. Before leaving work i wanted to see how it idled. First minute or so it idled nicely but then it started to idle a little rough again. On my way home, it drove okay for about 3 miles (road has multiple hills). Then it started to sputter pretty bad, wouldn’t really accelerate too much. This time was maybe the worst it’s ever sputtered. As i was turning into my drive way, it shut off on me.

If the fuel pump is brand new..Is there any other idea of what it could be? Ive heard it could be a weak ignition, i’ve also heard it could be others. However, i’m trying to figure out what else it could it be? Has anyone else had similar issues to this and how can i resolve it? I want to get her running good so i can actually enjoy being a first time jeep owner.

PLEASE HELP

What brand fuel pump assembly did you install and have you tested pressure at the fuel rail (99 has the test port) also take a look at the ignition coil mounted near the dipstick as the 2.5 coils have a tendency to split open as they age.

What brand fuel pump assembly did you install and have you tested pressure at the fuel rail (99 has the test port) also take a look at the ignition coil mounted near the dipstick as the 2.5 coils have a tendency to split open as they age.

Will Do. Thanks

I have the same exact problem with mine since i bought my jeep more than 5-6 years ago. I ve been tracing it and posting same questions on all jeep related forums. Noone and none of the part swap helped. I guess it and our extreme heat weather killed my 3spd auto. It s very weather oriented, never stalled in winter after it snowed, but stalls 100% if its hot summer day with traffic jams.

If its not helping i will abuse the amc engine, bypass rev limiter etc. To install japanese or german engine. I am not gonna spend ay more time trying to find the reason

• rough idle

PLEASE HELP

So have you made any progress?

Also, welcome to the Forum. Check out the SE thread in my signature, and let us know if you have anything to add.