2001 TJ A/C keeps freezing up

RAC02

TJ Enthusiast
Hello,
My 2001 tj ac keeps freezing up. So I looked under the hood and checked my fuses. It looks like there is a ground wire going from the ac clutch fuse to a ground I've included a picture. So I remove the ground and try to run ac. The clutch never turns on... I put the ground wire back on and it works. The problem is with the ground wire on the clutch never turns off. I guess this would cause it to freeze up. But how do i fix it?
20190728_182442.jpg

Someone had rigged it...I’d have a shop check it . May just need the correct relay , check that first.

Do you mean the coils are icing over? If so that's usually a sign of low refrigerant. Any A/C shop can check the charge for you, or you can get a kit at any auto parts stores for $20 or so

Does anyone know how many ac pressure switches there are? I went to a part store and they said there is only one. Is this true? And if so where is it?

The parts guy said it could be the relay. Bought a relay. The part guy then said if this does not fix it I should get the high pressure switch replaced. My question is does this make sense? And what about the low pressure switch?

I bought a new relay. Problem still there. I then bought high and low switches and it appears that is working so far without that jumper that bypassed the relay

Reactions: fourpointzero
Yea basically it started as the ac freezing up. Wondering why it was freezing up lead me to look under the hood and at the lines. The whole time the ac was blowing cold except when the the amount of air was limited due to the lack of air from freezing up. The issue seems to be from the compressor never turning off. The previous owner had a jumper( as seen in the pic I sent) on the relay basically to buy bypass the switches. So far i removed the jumper and replaced relay. No fix. Bought the high and low switch now no jumper and the clutch is kicking on and off. Something it didn't do before when the jumper was on the relay which was in turn bypassing the switches and providing constant power to the compressor. I will let y'all know how this works out.