2002 Jeep TJ: AX15 swap to 32RH or 42RLE

JeepFarmer

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2002 Jeep TJ that is in excellent condition with 88k miles on it. It is the exact jeep that I want and will ever want. Though, I am considering converting it to an automatic (32RH or 42RLE) and would like some weigh-in from people who have made the conversion. I'm looking to do so just for ease of use for other family members. I have some concerns and hopefully someone has the answers to my concerns. The jeep currently has an AX15 transmission and the jeep is just a cruiser (no serious off-roading).

1. Once converted does the jeep drive just as a stock automatic that came out of the factory (drive quality and etc.)?
2. Rough estimate of budget this project should have? (Professional install vs. personal install)
3. Any tips or suggestions for this process?

Thanks Everyone.

1658846887803.png

Nice Jeep, looks like a perfect platform to begin a build! I don’t know about costs, but I would say take into account you may have to switch some electrical parts. Manuals have the little shifting light, and cruise control is different in the steering wheel, you’d need a new radiator, with cooling lines for the transmission. I also know that some of the transfer cases have an input shaft that is a different length, and maybe driveshafts would need to be exchanged if they aren’t the same size. You are looking at a big an eventful process, and I would love to hear what others say, and what you end up doing. I sm going to keep an eye on this thread. @Jerry Bransford and @Chris are awesome people who have helped me along the way and maybe they can chime in on this. I have never owned an auto, but I would assume it’s quite a bit of work!

Reactions: Chris
I think in general the 32RH is preferred transmission here, since it's tried and true and basically powered Chrysler muscle cars since the 60s (search for 904 transmission, it's essentially the same thing). The 42RLE has an overdrive gear that everybody here seems to hate. I also believe the 42RLE is electronically controlled (or at least somewhat so) while the 32RH's only electronics are for the torque converter lockup & the neutral safety switch. I imagine it would be considerably easier to get a 32RH running & tuned due to the lack of any computer integration.

Reactions: Lifted straight six
Nice Jeep, looks like a perfect platform to begin a build! I don’t know about costs, but I would say take into account you may have to switch some electrical parts. Manuals have the little shifting light, and cruise control is different in the steering wheel, you’d need a new radiator, with cooling lines for the transmission. I also know that some of the transfer cases have an input shaft that is a different length, and maybe driveshafts would need to be exchanged if they aren’t the same size. You are looking at a big an eventful process, and I would love to hear what others say, and what you end up doing. I sm going to keep an eye on this thread. @Jerry Bransford and @Chris are awesome people who have helped me along the way and maybe they can chime in on this. I have never owned an auto, but I would assume it’s quite a bit of work!
Thanks LSS! I have been researching some on the process and it seems as if it could be a sizeable endeavor. I really do not want to go to the trouble of doing this conversion if the end product is not very similar to the quality of a factory installed auto. I will keep this thread going as I make any moves in the future. Thanks for your input.

Thanks LSS! I have been researching some on the process and it seems as if it could be a sizeable endeavor. I really do not want to go to the trouble of doing this conversion if the end product is not very similar to the quality of a factory installed auto. I will keep this thread going as I make any moves in the future. Thanks for your input.
Matching OEM installation and quality isn't an issue since that is an exact offering on 2002 for the 32RH. The only difficulties are finding the correct parts. The two hardest to locate are the short jumper harness from the reverse light circuit to the NSS on the 32 and the dipstick and tube. The 3rd hardest parts to locate are the cooling hard lines from the trans to the radiator.

After all the parts are sourced, it is pretty much plug and play. Several of us have put up fairly comprehensive lists as well as others documenting the swaps in a few build threads.

Keep us posted. I have an NV3550 (also '02) and am considering starting to collect the parts for a 32RH swap.