2003 Rubicon locker switch advice

WV Native

2003 Rubicon 5 speed

I just noticed an issue with my factory lockers that I’d like help diagnosing.

When I press the locker switch once the dash light for the Rear Locker flashes and then for some reason the Front Locker light also flashes.

These lights will flash until the cows come home until I hit the locker switch once more. After pushing the switch for the second time both of the lights will quickly stop flashing and remain illuminated, indicating they are both locked.

I have previously replaced all of the air lines with new hoses. The pumps air pumps activate because I can hear them working and feel them working if I put my hand on them. I sourced a new switch but it does the same thing.

Basically, my lockers work but not independently. The front and rear seem to be tied together and I don’t know why I can’t use just the rear.

Any help is appreciated as I’ve searched in this forum for a similar issue but couldn’t find it.

Thanks.

Interesting problem. Lot of views but no help yet. Do you know for sure the lockers are actually locking? Have you looked at the wires under the Jeep to see if someone has modified them? Any non oem looking splices? Just throwing some thoughts out there.

The flashing light means the locker is not locked and it will not go solid if you're just sitting still after you turn the locker switch on. You need to be driving and you need to make an S-turn or two so the two halves of the locker can lock to each other. Think of a flat-bladed screwdriver against a screw without the blade in the slot, you have to turn the screwdriver so it engages the screw's slot. That's exactly how the two halves of the locker engage each other. One side/wheel has to rotate faster than the other side/wheel so the two halves can engage/lock into each other.

The first thing I'd do is set that Jeep on at least two jack stands, press the button once and check if either axle locks up. With the flashing lights they shouldn't be locked. The I'd press the button a second time and check if both axles lock up. with two solid lights they should be locked.

If that works out, those lockers are mechanically doing their job and their sensors and associated wiring (two wires each) are probably OK too.

Unfortunately diagnosing beyond that pushes us toward electronic wizardry far beyond my abilities.

Interesting problem. Lot of views but no help yet. Do you know for sure the lockers are actually locking? Have you looked at the wires under the Jeep to see if someone has modified them? Any non oem looking splices? Just throwing some thoughts out there.

The lockers are locking but only after I hit the switch the second time.

I’m the original owner so there are no splices in any of the wiring.

The flashing light means the locker is not locked and it will not go solid if you're just sitting still after you turn the locker switch on. You need to be driving and you need to make an S-turn or two so the two halves of the locker can lock to each other. Think of a flat-bladed screwdriver against a screw without the blade in the slot, you have to turn the screwdriver so it engages the screw's slot. That's exactly how the two halves of the locker engage each other. One side/wheel has to rotate faster than the other side/wheel so the two halves can engage/lock into each other.

I should have clarified.

The locker indicator lights will flash forever the first time I press the button. I’ve driven all over and around waiting for them to burn solid. I’ve been forward then backwards and all that.

Literally within 3-5 seconds of me hitting the locker switch the second time they both lock.

Strange.

The first thing I'd do is set that Jeep on at least two jack stands, press the button once and check if either axle locks up. With the flashing lights they shouldn't be locked. The I'd press the button a second time and check if both axles lock up. with two solid lights they should be locked.

If that works out, those lockers are mechanically doing their job and their sensors and associated wiring (two wires each) are probably OK too.

Unfortunately diagnosing beyond that pushes us toward electronic wizardry far beyond my abilities.

Yes sir. I went through that process.

I’m just like you….it’s probably some electronic wizardry that’s above my pay scale.

With both pumps and lockers working and both front and rear lights flashing the first time you push the switch with no rear lockup, my guess would be the switch is malfunctioning but I haven’t experienced this with my lockers or switch. Did this start happening right after you changed out the air lines and did you disconnect the electrical connections when doing this?

With both pumps and lockers working and both front and rear lights flashing the first time you push the switch with no rear lockup, my guess would be the switch is malfunctioning but I haven’t experienced this with my lockers or switch. Did this start happening right after you changed out the air lines and did you disconnect the electrical connections when doing this?

When I replaced the airlines I did disconnect the pumps to gain better access to the air line “plumbing”. I actually didn’t try them after I changed out the airlines which in hindsight was a mistake. I needed the rear locker the other day and made the malfunction discover.

I not a 100% sure but I think the connections are specific to each pump. I don’t think I could have plugged them up incorrectly.

I bought a new switch which gives the same result.

I’m not certain the pump connections can be switch either but keeping with the check the simple stuff first, my next step would be making sure the electrical connections at the pumps are all good and correct.

Well, I fixed my issue.

I have to eat a big piece of humble pie on this one.

When I replaced the air locker hoses I accidentally put the hoses on the wrong barbs. I had everything womperjawed.

Also, while removing the lines I broke one of the barbs off the front locker pump. I was pretty ticked but decided to repair the issue.

What I came up with was the best I could do at Lowes. I don’t have the money for a new pump.

Don’t laugh…..it works.
6F805528-EC12-43AC-8EA4-0372D819E735.jpeg

573F3E3F-9EE6-45C3-928B-D5846F4EEED6.jpeg

54955FE4-E2D5-481D-B0ED-DBBBD79334C9.jpeg

I want to extend a thank you to everyone who tried to help me. Too bad you can’t fix stupid sometimes.

Glad you got it fixed. Did you cut threads into the pump body for your brass fitting? I like the ingenuity on the fix. Like you said, at least it works 👍