2004 Jeep Rubicon Rip & Rebuild

flyinfish

Woke Is A Joke!
Supporting Member
First and foremost I want to thank the jeep enthusiasts on this forum for your advice and knowledge! You've been a big help from gear ratio's to fender flares! I'm always open to opinions on which products you'd recommend and any other comments you may have.

I picked up this 2004 Jeep Rubicon a month ago with 25K miles on it. The friend I bought it from used it as his tow and drive rig behind a motor home. The Jeep is in brand new condition and came with both hard and soft factory tops as well as many other items.

I'm doing a 4" Currie Lift Kit along with Savvy 1.25" body lift. This lift should work good with 35" BFG KM3's on 17" wheels. The 17" wheels will allow for the biggest "Big Brake" Kit.
I've been stockpiling new parts for this build and it's time for the "Rip" phase. Due to the Jeep having a 42RLE Automatic Transmission with a .69 overdrive, both differentials are coming out to install the Revolution 5.38 ring and pinions. The gears have to be done, so why wait until the lift kit is in just to remove the axles later was my thought.

This is just the start of a build and I will post progress as well as a list of parts going into the build.

Jeep-1.jpg

Jeep-2.jpg

Jeep-3.jpg

The Rubi is in shock after some amputations!

The Build:
Revolution 5.38 Gears Front & Rear Master Rebuild Kit (timken Bearings)
Currie 4" Lift CE-9801HS
Currie Front Anti-Rock Sway Bar
Currie Currectlync Steering System
Savvy 1.25" Aluminum Body Lift Kit
Rusty's 1" Motor Mount Lift
Rancho Steering Stabilizer Shock
Savvy Transfer Case Shift Cable
Tummy Tuck
Raybestos Extended Front Brake Lines
BFGoodrich 35"x12.5"/R17 KM3 Tires
17"x9 Wheels

To Get After Lift Install: (Need Measurements)
Tom Woods Double Cardan Drive Shaft
Rancho RS5000x Shocks

Coming Soon:
Vanco Super 16" Big Brake Kit
Rock Sliders
Savvy Aluminum Front Bumper
Skid Plates
Warn Zeon 10-S Platinum Winch

Last edited:
Yes, I saw that white CJ-5 sitting back there too. Was also going to ask about it. Your other Jeep? I had a 1974 CJ-5 many moons ago. Great Jeep/hunting rig and DD.

Welcome to the forum. That's a great looking jeep.

@mrblaine often says a 17" bbk is over kill for the tj and unnecessary. 16" kit is likely the way to go.

Can't wait to see the final product!!

@mrblaine often says a 17" bbk is over kill for the tj and unnecessary. 16" kit is likely the way to go.

No, not overkill for the TJ, overkill for 35's. It will lock up 40's.
35's- TJ 15/16 kit
35's Heavy TJ Unlimited 16 and Super 16 kits
37's on either Super 16 and 17" kit
40's on any TJ 17" kit

Thank You
Buying 17" wheels was so I wasn't restricted to just the 15" BBK kit if I'd gone with 15" wheels. Another thing I noticed was wheel and tire selection in 17" was better than 15". I don't think the 17's with 35's looks out of proportion like the 20", no thank you!

Reactions: Alex01
No, not overkill for the TJ, overkill for 35's. It will lock up 40's.
35's- TJ 15/16 kit
35's Heavy TJ Unlimited 16 and Super 16 kits
37's on either Super 16 and 17" kit
40's on any TJ 17" kit
Thank you for the Tire Size/BBK Kit info. I've read many of your threads and posts and found them very informative and helpful.

I will go with the 16" BBK kit.
What is the difference between the Super 16 and the 16?
Just a shot in the dark but I imagine it has the same rotor but a slightly larger caliper and brake pads.

Thank you for the Tire Size/BBK Kit info. I've read many of your threads and posts and found them very informative and helpful.

I will go with the 16" BBK kit.
What is the difference between the Super 16 and the 16?
Just a shot in the dark but I imagine it has the same rotor but a slightly larger caliper and brake pads.
Better to view it as a small 17" kit since it is the same in that regard except for a slightly smaller rotor.

I'm more interested in what I see in the background.
Really excited to follow this one. Also want more info on that other Jeep
Yes, I saw that white CJ-5 sitting back there too. Was also going to ask about it. Your other Jeep? I had a 1974 CJ-5 many moons ago. Great Jeep/hunting rig and DD.
A little back story on the CJ5:
My father owned a large mechanic shop and I was a mechanic there for many years. Around 1976 the CJ5 came in and had brakes and other work done, but when it came time to pay the bill the customer chose not to. Ultimately they ended up forfeiting the CJ5 versus paying the bill.

We hunted with the jeep a lot in eastern Oregon. Heppner, Oregon was one of my favorite places to hunt. We four wheeled a lot as well. I have fond memories like waiting around the corner out of site and when your buddy makes the turn, then let the mud slinging begin until they were sufficiently coated.

I drove the CJ5 to high school and had a lot of fun. On occasion I'd light the tires up like I was in some hot rod and forget I was in a CJ5. I guess having a 304 V8 makes it possible. It has a three speed manual transmission. After high school I was pretty busy working and it wasn't used much and stayed in the garage.

Fast forward to 2006 when my Father passed away. Helping my Mother through all the unpleasant things following a death was my focus. My dad was the type that never sold anything and had at least three of everything because he couldn't find what he was looking for. In fact he'd build a new garage if it got full!
Anyway after things settled down and remembered the good times, she gave me the title to the CJ5.

Now the CJ5: I installed a 4" lift, Edelbrock intake manifold, Edelbrock carb w/ float bowls on the left and right side, electric fuel pump, headers and Mallory HEI Distributor. I have all the original parts.
The Jeep is sitting on wheel dollies right now and need to finish welding up the exhaust and get it out and play. Since it's been sitting there it's been a great place to put stuff. I'll get the stuff off of it and take some pics.

Last edited:
A f
My father owned a large mechanic shop and around 1976 the CJ5 came in and had brakes and other work done, but when it came time to pay the bill they chose not to. Ultimately they ended up forfeiting the CJ5 versus paying the bill.

We hunted with the jeep a lot in eastern Oregon. Heppner, Oregon was one of my favorite places to hunt. We four wheeled a lot as well. I have fond memories like waiting around the corner out of site and when your buddy makes the turn, then let the mud slinging begin until they were sufficiently coated.

I drove the CJ5 to high school and had a lot of fun. On occasion I'd light the tires up like I was in some hot rod and forget I was in a CJ5. I guess having a 304 V8 makes it possible. It has a three speed manual transmission. After high school I was pretty busy working and it wasn't used much and stayed in the garage.

Fast forward to 2006 when my Father passed away. Helping my Mother through all the unpleasant things following a death was my focus. My dad was the type that never sold anything and had at least three of everything because he couldn't find what he was looking for. In fact he'd build a new garage if it got full!
Anyway after things settled down and remembered the good times, she gave me the title to the CJ5.

Now the CJ5: I installed a 4" lift, Edelbrock intake manifold, Edelbrock carb w/ float bowls on the left and right side, electric fuel pump, headers and Mallory HEI Distributor. I have all the original parts.
The Jeep is sitting on wheel dollies right now and need to finish welding up the exhaust and get it out and play. Since it's been sitting there it's been a great place to put stuff. I'll get the stuff off of it and take some pics.
A friend of mine just sold his 1973 CJ-5 with the 304 that he had for years and years and moved to Oklahoma. He is going to be sorry.

My father owned a large mechanic shop and around 1976 the CJ5 came in and had brakes and other work done, but when it came time to pay the bill they chose not to. Ultimately they ended up forfeiting the CJ5 versus paying the bill.

Have you ever watched American Pickers on History Channel? You dad might have some valuables in there!

A f

A friend of mine just sold his 1973 CJ-5 with the 304 that he had for years and years and moved to Oklahoma. He is going to be sorry.
They will regret that one down the road! Hopefully the price was just too good to pass up.

Have you ever watched American Pickers on History Channel? You dad might have some valuables in there!
I have indeed! They come across some amazing finds. I'm sure they go through everything after the cameras stop rolling.

My dad had lots of goodies and it literally took years to get to all the areas. He had tons of automotive equipment like valve grinding machines, specialty tools and hand tools from the mechanic shop. He had Stuff like an air bumper jack and is not something you see in a personal garage but I use it often. He had a huge 6ft tall Sun Oscilloscope system that we donated to the high school for kids to learn how to diagnose problems without the computer telling you what it is.

Last edited:
I have indeed! They come across some amazing finds. I'm sure they go through everything after the cameras stop rolling.

My dad had lots of goodies and it literally took years to get to all the areas. He had tons of automotive equipment like valve grinding machines, specialty tools and hand tools from the mechanic shop. He had Stuff like an air bumper jack and is not something you see in a personal garage but I use it often. He had a huge 6ft tall Sun Oscilloscope system that we donated to the high school for kids to learn how to diagnose problems without the computer telling you what it is.

They find all sorts of items that blow my mind on how much it cost. It’s unbelievable. What I like about them is that their honest. They never lowball the item and often times Go up on the price when the seller doesn’t know how much it’s worth.

Subscribed... Im following these same build steps with my 03 Rubi and would like to see the build up of the currie system.