2004 Rubicon Suspension Refresh II

Ruby Yellow

Supporting Member
Hi again Everyone, this is a follow up to my original post. Our 2004 Rubicon with 152,000 miles is ready for some light trail duty now. We don't plan to do anything other than the easy trails (no rock crawling, deep water crossings, or situations that would lead to tip overs). We just want to join the Reading PA off road park and enjoy the outdoors with this Jeep. It is completely stock and is pretty solid. It has new tires (Sumitomo Encounter AT which are fairly aggressive but not a mud tire). I purchased new Moog springs front and rear, 5/8 inch isolators (spacers) for the front and rear for a little extra lift, and Rancho RS5000X shocks that will accomodate up to a 1 inch lift. I also have the quick disconnect pins for the front stabilizer so we can get more articulation out of the front end if necessary.

My question is will the 30.5 inch tires contact the stock fender flares with the stabilizer disconnected if the front end is in an extremely articulated position? If so, would wider fender flares be the best way to go considering that I don't want to go too radical with this Jeep? And, the front spring already has one isolator installed so should I install two to maintain the correct body geometry?

Because I am new to wheelin', your experienced opinions will be appreciated.

Oh, it's just one of my favorite pics from my glory days racing motocross way back in 1980 on my 1979 Maico 400. That pic was taken at Sleepy Hollow MX track in Fredricksburg, PA. The track was usually muddy but well prepared and I always liked racing there. I still ride off road on a Husqvarna FE 501s dual sport bike.

Hi again Everyone, this is a follow up to my original post. Our 2004 Rubicon with 152,000 miles is ready for some light trail duty now. We don't plan to do anything other than the easy trails (no rock crawling, deep water crossings, or situations that would lead to tip overs). We just want to join the Reading PA off road park and enjoy the outdoors with this Jeep. It is completely stock and is pretty solid. It has new tires (Sumitomo Encounter AT which are fairly aggressive but not a mud tire). I purchased new Moog springs front and rear, 5/8 inch isolators (spacers) for the front and rear for a little extra lift, and Rancho RS5000X shocks that will accomodate up to a 1 inch lift. I also have the quick disconnect pins for the front stabilizer so we can get more articulation out of the front end if necessary.

My question is will the 30.5 inch tires contact the stock fender flares with the stabilizer disconnected if the front end is in an extremely articulated position? If so, would wider fender flares be the best way to go considering that I don't want to go too radical with this Jeep? And, the front spring already has one isolator installed so should I install two to maintain the correct body geometry?

Because I am new to wheelin', your experienced opinions will be appreciated.

No, wider flares won’t help. The issue is the fender. Look underneath where the flare meets the front fender and you’ll see the sheet metal hanging down.

It is unlikely the tires will hit the fender with your current setup. The only way to know for sure is to cycle the suspension. This is proper. You may need to add a small amount of bumpstop: 1/2-1”. Doing what you describe it would be highly unlikely you would need it, but it is proper.

Yes, you need a jounce bumper on both sides. The function of the jounce is to slow down the impact as you drive over jarring road.

I looked and you are correct about the fender flange. Thanks for point that out. I will jack the front end and cycle the suspension to check for clearances and to ensure the correct bump stops are installed.