265/70R17 tires on 17" JK rims and 2" spacers? Will it rub?

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Looking at a set of 265/70R17 tires to put on a set 17" JK rims and I'm going to use 2" spacers on the back. I was going to use stock 255's as all the threads on this say a 2" spacer and 255's won't rub. But I found a deal on a new set of 265's - Goodyear. Just not sure if they will fit without rubbing?

This is on my stock 99' TJ. The old (and I mean cracking old. lol) tires are too big and rub. From the PO. Also anyone know what my rims are off of? They're Jeep rims. But I've never seen them on a TJ before in pics.

And yes, I'm doing bed liner on the disgusting fender flares. I think this is the worst case of sun bleaching on a set of flairs I've ever seen. lol. Should look really nice once it's done.

20181216_155005.jpg

Hi Moab, a question. I did the same as you, I went from the standard 15-inch TJ tires to the 17-inch JK wheels. Exactly the same ones that you put in your car, with the JK series tire. I put the adapters "Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel adapters, 5x4.5 "to 5x5" Bolt pattern "to fit. But when I took it to the road, after more than 80 kilometers per hour, the car went crazy, the I wobbled To solve it, I reinforced everything, put the "RT Off-Road Heavy Duty Steering Kit" and changed the steering suspension to a "Teraflex 1513001 TERA 9550 VSS" I even exchanged the two ball joints for the "Spicer Bushing Assembly 706944X "when I left the workshop I thought that with everything that had changed and reinforced the car I would leave the wobble of death behind, but it continues.

Thanks and best regards!

Hi Moab, a question. I did the same as you, I went from the standard 15-inch TJ tires to the 17-inch JK wheels. Exactly the same ones that you put in your car, with the JK series tire. I put the adapters "Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel adapters, 5x4.5 "to 5x5" Bolt pattern "to fit. But when I took it to the road, after more than 80 kilometers per hour, the car went crazy, the I wobbled To solve it, I reinforced everything, put the "RT Off-Road Heavy Duty Steering Kit" and changed the steering suspension to a "Teraflex 1513001 TERA 9550 VSS" I even exchanged the two ball joints for the "Spicer Bushing Assembly 706944X "when I left the workshop I thought that with everything that had changed and reinforced the car I would leave the wobble of death behind, but it continues.

Thanks and best regards!

Your the first guy I've read having problems with death wobble (ya it has a name) from just spacers. Did you not have the problem before? I'd look for threads around here titled "death wobble". I'm not sure it's only the spacers fault. But I've never read a fixing death wobble thread. As I've never had it.

Did your's decrease the turning radius with the 1.25 spacers? I wish I could have gone smaller. But at the time I could only find guys running 2" spacers and not having their turning radius limited. Since I've read a couple that used 1.25 and 1.5" that worked without cutting the turning radius. What I mean by that is the tires hit and start rubbing before you turn all the way to the left or right.

Hi Moab! thanks for answering. I never had death wooble. I appeared just after putting the wheels and spacers, as they have to go together. That's why I asked you ... The spacers are the best on the market, that's why I don't understand ... And the tires and tires are exactly the same as you. And adding that I've reinforced everything ... Do you use the factory steering damper? As for my adapters, the turning radius is perfect, it doesn't touch anything at all, but I can't enjoy them either because I have the car currently stopped since I can't drive it on the highway because it goes crazy when I suffer death wooble.

Hi Moab! thanks for answering. I never had death wooble. I appeared just after putting the wheels and spacers, as they have to go together. That's why I asked you ... The spacers are the best on the market, that's why I don't understand ... And the tires and tires are exactly the same as you. And adding that I've reinforced everything ... Do you use the factory steering damper? As for my adapters, the turning radius is perfect, it doesn't touch anything at all, but I can't enjoy them either because I have the car currently stopped since I can't drive it on the highway because it goes crazy when I suffer death wooble.

Mines all stock. I just had the spacers put on with the wheels and tires like you. It could be a balance issue. But I would start your own "Help me fix my death wobble" thread. You'll get better answers. I've never had the wobble.