JK Willys Wheels on 05 LJ

05MDLJ

Getting a set of 17" Willys rims from a neighbor and want to put them on my LJ. I know I'll need 2" wheel adapters, correct? Will I be able to fit 255/80R17 without a lift and will these fit the rims ok (I believe stock is 255/75R17)?

Last edited:
I just added JK Recon rims to my LJ. You can go as small as 1.25" for the adapters but may get into the control arms without adjusting the steering stops depending on tire size. I will let others chime in on tire size with no lift. I know mine looked pretty funny with 285/70R17's with no lift... I put them on the day before the lift went on. It was... SNUG.

89F3FE72-1C22-4A50-B4B9-C03D5B408226.jpeg

9BA82463-EAE3-4E0C-A9CC-AE1FE0F1F71A.jpeg

The tires measure exactly 32" mounted and the lift netted exactly 3" F&R.

Last edited:
I just added JK Recon rims to my LJ. You can go as small as 1.25" for the adapters but may get into the control arms without adjusting the steering stops depending on tire size. I will let others chime in on tire size with no lift. I know mine looked pretty funny with 285/70R17's with no lift... I put them on the day before the lift went on. It was... SNUG.

View attachment 173793

View attachment 173794

Thanks! I plan on getting a lift as well, but everything in stages. Love how yours looks. What lift did you go with?

Thanks! I plan on getting a lift as well, but everything in stages. Love how yours looks. What lift did you go with?

OME 934 ZJ V8 front coils, OME 949 LJ HD rear coils, OME rear trackbar bracket, OME SD-40 steering stabilizer and OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks. I know the consensus here is that the OME shocks are too firm, but while it is firm, I'm pleased with the ride.

255/80R17 are taller than the 285/70R17 I'm running, so I can't imagine you'll be able to drive it with no lift.

OME 934 ZJ V8 front coils, OME 949 LJ HD rear coils, OME rear trackbar bracket, OME SD-40 steering stabilizer and OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks. I know the consensus here is that the OME shocks are too firm, but while it is firm, I'm pleased with the ride.

255/80R17 are taller than the 285/70R17 I'm running, so I can't imagine you'll be able to drive it with no lift.

Thanks! I may just go with the size you've got (if they fit the Willys rim) as I like the look. I was going for 33s but don't think it's necessary now.

Thanks! I may just go with the size you've got (if they fit the Willys rim) as I like the look. I was going for 33s but don't think it's necessary now.

Same size I ran on my Willys. And since it’s the JL Rubi size you can find great deals on take-offs if you’re patient... Especially if you like the Falkens.

9F6C5732-8995-4ECF-AFB2-2B2331C40D7A.jpeg

Keep in mind that those "cheap" JK wheels and tires cost way more than a 15" tire when it comes time to replace them.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that those "cheap" JK wheels and tires cost way more than a 15" tire when it comes time to replace them. I had a chance to get FREE brand new (500 miles) Willys wheels and tires for my XJ. I passed because the tires cost about $50-70 more each for my size and I just don't like the style wheels. Go for it if you like them.

Depends what size you're looking for. I paid $150/tire for the KO2s on the JK from a JL Rubi with 50 miles. And I paid under $175/tire for the KO2s brand new for the ones on my LJ. If there's a good OE option for the size you're looking for, there are definitely deals to be found since they're becoming a lot more common.

And I even got $150 for the set of 5 Ravines with the original Wrangler GS-A tires.