32rh leaking at the front

13jeeps

2002 sport, l6 auto. Bought as a project being told both engine and transmission were bad. Engine was knocking, transmission slipping. Price was right so I got it.

After checking it out I think the issues are both transmission related. The engine noise sounds like a flex plate or converter bolts loose. Engine seems strong and noise goes away with any rpm over 1k. Drove the jeep and found slippage in reverse and 1st to 2nd shift, especially under power, and slow shift into 3rd. Actually it would rarely shift into 3rd if I didn't let off the gas. Checked fluid level and it looked low but very clean. Pan looks like it has been off recently so I suspect incorrect service.

Well, I added about 2 to 2.5 quarts of atf to bring it to max line on the stick when running in neutral. Tires are junk, one has gone flat and there's no spare so I couldn't drive it but I had it running in neutral for quite awhile trying to get the engine noise diagnosed.

Got home late this evening and I saw a fairly large puddle of atf under the jeep. It looks like it's leaking from the front, right at the inspection cover. I didn't have a chance to get it to operating temps to check the fluid but it's definitely low. I'm positive it wasn't leaking on the ground before but it was wet where it's leaking now and I can see an occasional drop seep out. Could it be overfilled? My 30 min test drive acted like low fluid which I verified and thought corrected. Can some seal blow in the driveway? I won't get a chance to drive it until the adapters for my jk wheels come in late next week. I know I don't have to pull the trans for a flex plate but am I better off planning to pull it? I can't see cracks through the inspection plate and converter bolts seem tight. I was planning on backing the transmission out and checking and tightening converter bolts and replacing flex plate as needed but now I'm thinking I'd be better off getting it in the air.