32RH pump removal question

hear

Can't type
Lifetime Supporting Member
The FSM says to tighten the first band before removing the pump to hold everything in place. No problem, an 8mm wrench fits over the square end of the adjuster screw perfectly. Then at the end of the process it says to torque it to 72 in-lbs, and then back it off 2.25 turns. The problem is an 8mm socket does NOT fit over the adjuster screw. In fact no socket fits on the screw suitably. The wrench fits because it's square, the socket needs it to be hex shaped, obviously.

Ultimately w/o a socket I have no way to use my torque wrench, unless there's some old school way I'm not aware of. My next best option is to get an 8mm Crowfoot to put on the torque wrench, but that technically changes the amount of torque applied since the lever arm is slightly longer. I guess I can do some math to figure out what the actual torque is and set the wrench accordingly, but just having the right socket seems way more reliable of a method.

Any ideas?

image0-5.jpeg

From what I've always been taught you can use a crow's foot without changing anything as long as you can keep the foot at a 90 dg angle to the wrench head. If that isn't possible you have to do math. Here's a calculator from Tekton.

https://www.tekton.com/how-to-accurately-use-a-torque-wrench-with-a-crowfoot-wrench
Do you ever do that thing where you forget it's 2021 and that you don't have to wonder most things, you can just google them? 🤦‍♂️

Although I'm not yet convinced that rotating it 90 deg delivers the same amount of torque. I mean, the nut doesn't know/care that it's not in a direct path from your hand to the nut, so the effective radius is still slightly longer. Take the extreme case of a Crowfoot that's 10 feet long. Is the torque applied still the same in that case? I need to think about this, and also I don't know how a click style torque wrench even works on the inside. Maybe I need to test this with a beam style, just to satisfy my own brain.

Last edited:
Reactions: qslim
There are such things as sockets for square head bolts and plugs. I have a couple sets in US. They look like this....

0F7A8AF0-99A1-4674-938A-88BF3A8E9AAD.jpeg

Mine are Craftsman, but I’m sure other folks make them as well. Try a web search for square head socket, or something like that.

Do you ever do that thing where you forget it's 2021 and that you don't have to wonder most things, you can just google them? 🤦‍♂️

Although I'm not yet convinced that rotating it 90 deg delivers the same amount of torque. I mean, the nut doesn't know/care that it's not in a direct path from your hand to the nut, so the effective radius is still slightly longer. Take the extreme case of a Crowfoot that's 10 feet long. Is the torque applied still the same in that case? I need to think about this, and also I don't know how a click style torque wrench even works on the inside. Maybe I need to test this with a beam style, just to satisfy my own brain.
Dude I've thought about this before. I have an engineering degree, but its in systems engineering so it's not like I do math all day for a living. I've had no shit math-nerd engineers explain it to me but I forgot it immediately. If it helps this is the USAF rule we were taught for nukes.

Dude I've thought about this before. I have an engineering degree, but its in systems engineering so it's not like I do math all day for a living. I've had no shit math-nerd engineers explain it to me but I forgot it immediately. If it helps this is the USAF rule we were taught for nukes.

I have a degree in physics. Which means I have the phone numbers of my professors who will surely know the answer. If I call the wrong one, he'll socratic method me and force me to figure it out on my own. If only I had bought an XJ, he would've wiped the drool off my mouth and just given me the answer.