4 low shifting issues

Nickxm92

Evenin all,

Due to this lovely blizzard I had the opportunity to play with my TJ (4.0 IL6 auto) in 4lo to climb out of 2ft drifts. I recently got a Jasper tranny and a transfer case replacement put in. When trying to transition out of 4lo, it will only move back to 4hi and then what sounds like the transfer case begins horrible grinding until I get it into park. From park I can put it back into 2wd. Is this common or am I doing something wrong or have a misalignment somewhere?

Thanks all! Enjoy the snow if you're in the North East!

Sounds to me like your transfercase shifter linkage needs to be adjusted. This is a common issue, especially after installing a new transmission. It doesn't help that the factory linkage is a piece of crap.

I'd replace it with a Savvy shifter cable the first chance you get:

Reactions: Moon Eyes
Sounds to me like your transfercase shifter linkage needs to be adjusted. This is a common issue, especially after installing a new transmission. It doesn't help that the factory linkage is a piece of crap.

I'd replace it with a Savvy shifter cable the first chance you get:
Thanks! I'll look into the Savvy. Ill try and stick with 4hi for now until I can adjust it all.

Learning on the fly is fine but shifting into or out of 4lo on the fly is not. Stop first then do what never monday does.

"Stop" may be a slight exaggeration but barely moving should be the goal there.
I always come to a stop for it. I've had a 03 explorer that had the same order for getting into 4 lo so that I'm cool with. Its just coming out of 4 lo that sounds like the transfer case isn't matching with the shifter.
With the issues I've had in the past with the tranny and t/c i take it slow on all shifting in and out.

If you don't go into 4lo, does it shift easily in and out of 4hi (from 2hi) on the fly?
Yeah, I've never done it on the fly but from a stop to go into and out of 4 hi is smooth as butter. For 4 hi i slide into neutral, put on 4hi then shift to D. I have been wary of doing it on the fly due to some of the tranny/ TC and drive train issues I've had

Not that I am aware of but it could. I'm new to this world and learning on the fly for a lot of it.
Manual hubs would have a big knob to lock/unlock the hubs right on the hub where it passes through the front wheels.

Like either of these...

unnamed-1.jpg
hubconv-26.jpg

Also check that the front driveshaft is there.

Unlocked manual hubs or a missing front driveshaft will cause grinding when shiftjng into 4Hi.

If you can't get it into four low you need to loosen the 13 mm nut on the shifter linkage and manually push the transfer case into four low... Have someone hold up on the handle and then tighten the nut...some people consider this a permanent solution but I considered it a temporary solution until your Savvy cable comes.

Reactions: CodaMan