4 wheel low linkage issue

Just installed a new SYE/CV in my 2001 TJ (4L I-6 3 speed automatic). When testing it, 2 wheel low and 4 wheel High work fine. I can put it into 4 wheel Low, but am not able to put it back to any other selection. The gears continue to spin and grind if I try to put the gear back to Neutral, 4L or 2L. I have to shut the jeep off and then shift it.
The guy helping me (has done several lifts and SYE/CV's in the past) thinks it could be a linkage issue, but not sure if he is right or how to fix this. Any ideas?

Yes ,I don't know the automatic set up like I do the manual ,but some guys will chime in and help.

The manual has a 13mm nit that sets the throw base line .

Everything worked before the SYE / CV install? If so, it's got to be a linkage issue, which is very common given how crappy that POS linkage is.

You'll likely have to mess around with it and see what it's binding on (it would be helpful if you had one person to sit in the car and move the TC shifter while another person sat under the vehicle and looked up at the linkage to see what it's doing).

In the long term, replace that crappy shifter linkage with the Savvy transfer case shifter cable, which makes a world of difference, and buttery smooth shifts.

Reactions: Russell Balzan
Not trying to make a dumb comment, but are you putting the transmission in neutral when shifting out of 4wd? I have always put the transmission into neutral just to be on the safe side.
Other than that, I would 2nd or 3rd the comment about the shift linkage, get the SAVVY one. I've adjusted the stock one about 215 times and it still gives me trouble.

Reactions: Chris