42RLE Slow Reverse to drive shift

Im planning on taking my LJ into the transmission shop over spring break to try and solve this issue once and for all. But before I do that, I'd like to see if guys can help me diagnose the problem first. Either to see if it's something I could fix myself or what I should ask the shop to look for.

So, to keep it short, my problem only occurs when the engine and transmission are up to operating temperature and when the weather is above 50F.
So whenever I shift out of Reverse and into drive, I sense the transmission lagging, like it's stuck in neutral. This lag usually lasts less than a second, but on occasion, the lag will take a second or more, and when it does make the shift, I can hear the transmission clunk slightly and feel the vehicle lunge a bit. Occasionally, I've needed to press on the accelerator to get it to make the shift.

When it's still warming up the Reverse to drive shift is smooth and silent.

This problem began a few months after having the fluid changed at a shop. They also replaced the filter.

So far, I have:
Checked and added fluid
replaced leaky Transmission coolant lines
Drained trans fluid and replaced pan seal due to fixing a leak from the seal
Replaced trans fluid after replacing pan seal, then later topped off the fluid

The only fluid I have used is ATF+4

Still, my problem persists.

After several hours of surfing this forum and other websites, I've boiled this down to likely being a valve body issue either due to gunk intruding into the valve body or to seal/ piston deterioration, allowing fluid to move where and when it shouldn't.

But I wanted to see if anyone else here might've had a similar issue and how you fixed it or if you guys have any opposing ideas for what might be the issue.

I would like to mention @mrblaine since he seems knowledgeable about TJ transmissions.

Im planning on taking my LJ into the transmission shop over spring break to try and solve this issue once and for all. But before I do that, I'd like to see if guys can help me diagnose the problem first. Either to see if it's something I could fix myself or what I should ask the shop to look for.

So, to keep it short, my problem only occurs when the engine and transmission are up to operating temperature and when the weather is above 50F.
So whenever I shift out of Reverse and into drive, I sense the transmission lagging, like it's stuck in neutral. This lag usually lasts less than a second, but on occasion, the lag will take a second or more, and when it does make the shift, I can hear the transmission clunk slightly and feel the vehicle lunge a bit. Occasionally, I've needed to press on the accelerator to get it to make the shift.

When it's still warming up the Reverse to drive shift is smooth and silent.

This problem began a few months after having the fluid changed at a shop. They also replaced the filter.

So far, I have:
Checked and added fluid
replaced leaky Transmission coolant lines
Drained trans fluid and replaced pan seal due to fixing a leak from the seal
Replaced trans fluid after replacing pan seal, then later topped off the fluid

The only fluid I have used is ATF+4

Still, my problem persists.

After several hours of surfing this forum and other websites, I've boiled this down to likely being a valve body issue either due to gunk intruding into the valve body or to seal/ piston deterioration, allowing fluid to move where and when it shouldn't.

But I wanted to see if anyone else here might've had a similar issue and how you fixed it or if you guys have any opposing ideas for what might be the issue.

I would like to mention @mrblaine since he seems knowledgeable about TJ transmissions.

I'm not that familiar with the 42. I am okay with some of it and given that your problem started after they did a change, I suspect they did a power flush like they are prone to do and did exactly what you think. The broke some gunk loose on the wrong side of the filter and it is causing a mess, or, coincidence and your valve body decided it doesn't like you. Jerry had issues with his that he solved by some parts he replaced. I'd look that up and see if his symptoms were the same as yours.

Reactions: Davy-Crockettm28
Have you double checked the ATF level while the engine is running and warmed up to make sure the ATF all the way to the full mark? Where an automatic transmission is concerned its better to be slightly overfilled than slightly underfilled.

Reactions: voodooridr
Have you double checked the ATF level while the engine is running and warmed up to make sure the ATF all the way to the full mark? Where an automatic transmission is concerned its better to be slightly overfilled than slightly underfilled.

I've checked it a few times this way. The last time I checked it, the fluid was high enough to fill the two holes on the hot side, although the fluid line itself was a little below the dots. I have a little below 12FL oz left in the bottle that I can add if you think that might help.

If that doesn't help, do you think my theory about the valve body might be correct? If not any other ideas?

Thank you!

I'm not that familiar with the 42. I am okay with some of it and given that your problem started after they did a change, I suspect they did a power flush like they are prone to do and did exactly what you think. The broke some gunk loose on the wrong side of the filter and it is causing a mess, or, coincidence and your valve body decided it doesn't like you. Jerry had issues with his that he solved by some parts he replaced. I'd look that up and see if his symptoms were the same as yours.

Thanks for the insight!

Based on the handy work that my friend and I found when we replaced the pan seal, I wouldn't be surprised.