97 TJ Clutch Issue (AX-15)

MrRumpus

Supporting Member
97 TJ 4.0 200k miles AX-15 Transmission

The clutch has been making a slight whining noise when pressed in for the last few months.

Today while shifting in traffic the noise became much louder and developed into a loud metal to metal sounding screech when I press in and release the clutch pedal. This occurs mainly between stop and 1st, and 1st to 2nd.

Any ideas? I am assuming I need to replace the clutch.

If so I am going to do it myself. Is there anything else I should do while I have the tranny out?

Go with a Luk clutch kit, your noise is very likely the throwout bearing which is included in the kit. About the only thing you might do is to lightly sand the surface of the flywheel with a mild grade of sandpaper or emery cloth to remove any glazing if present. A new flywheel is very seldom needed, don't replace it unless you see noticeable damage to its surface.

I recommend Luk since that's also what the factory mostly installed. Your OEM Luk clutch lasted 200k miles, that's a good testament to its quality and durability.

Reactions: MrRumpus and Chris
Yep, I agree 100% with what Jerry said. There is no better clutch replacement than the Luk unit.

Also, while the transmission is out, it might be a good idea to do the rear main seal (more room to do it) if you have higher miles, and maybe even the oil pump and oil pan gasket as well.

Reactions: MrRumpus
Yep, I agree 100% with what Jerry said. There is no better clutch replacement than the Luk unit.

Also, while the transmission is out, it might be a good idea to do the rear main seal (more room to do it) if you have higher miles, and maybe even the oil pump and oil pan gasket as well.
So when trans is out do when need to drop exhaust still for rear main seal?

Go with a Luk clutch kit, your noise is very likely the throwout bearing which is included in the kit. About the only thing you might do is to lightly sand the surface of the flywheel with a mild grade of sandpaper or emery cloth to remove any glazing if present. A new flywheel is very seldom needed, don't replace it unless you see noticeable damage to its surface.

I recommend Luk since that's also what the factory mostly installed. Your OEM Luk clutch lasted 200k miles, that's a good testament to its quality and durability.
What grit sandpaper for flywheel. Mine looks like it has grooves but feels smooth still