97 TJ intermittent instrument cluster issues

Ridley

Okay fellas, I've had the cluster out, tweaked the terminals and used dialectric grease, all worked fine for a while.
Now it's gone batshit crazy again.
I popped the two connectors off the metal dash so I could wiggle them a little while plugged in, and it seems to be the right side one with the issue.
I can get the gauges to flicker about occasionally, but they never work properly. The warning lights all seem to work.
I've given all the wires into the back of the connectors a gentle tug and none of them appear to be loose inside the connector.
It looks like you should be able to pinch the two small red tabs and pull the loom connector from the large black/grey blocks, but I couldn't get them apart.
I examined the loom behind there and don't see any obvious rubs, cuts, etc.
Anyone got a suggestion?
Looks like replacement dashes are hard to find unless I go to eBay and roll the dice.
I'd like to try replacing the black and grey connector blocks first, but I haven't found anywhere to buy them - and I'll take some advice on getting the plugs out the back too!
Sorry for the long note and, I know, I should've taken some pics when it was all apart, but from all the chatter about TJ dashes on here, I think most of you have seen behind them!
Thanks in advance...

About 6 months after purchasing my 1998 XJ 4.0L (built 10/97) NEW the gauges would go dead periodically.
I brought the Jeep into the dealership and they replaced the BUSS connectors that the instrument cluster plugs into under a TSB which was supposed to cure the problem of tiny black oxidation specks on the BUSS clips, but the problem returned within a couple weeks.
Several more attempts were made by the dealership to cure the problem.
The instrument cluster gauges worked properly for a couple weeks and the problem returned. I cleaned the clips with Scotchbrite and applied a small coat of dielectric grease which only worked properly for a couple days at which time the dead gauges returned.
After troubleshooting the wiring and harness connections; I stumbled upon a temporary way to get the gauges to return to normal for sometimes as much as several months.
I would use the turn signal arm and flip to engage the right turn signals; within a 1-2 seconds the gauges would return to life. The dealership technicians were stumped as to why engaging the right turn signal activated the instrument cluster gauges.
After 25 years the gauges still go DEAD occasionally and the right turn signal will return the instrument cluster gauges to normal operation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
About 6 months after purchasing my 1998 XJ 4.0L (built 10/97) NEW the gauges would go dead periodically.
I brought the Jeep into the dealership and they replaced the BUSS connectors that the instrument cluster plugs into under a TSB which was supposed to cure the problem of tiny black oxidation specks on the BUSS clips, but the problem returned within a couple weeks.
Several more attempts were made by the dealership to cure the problem.
The instrument cluster gauges worked properly for a couple weeks and the problem returned. I cleaned the clips with Scotchbrite and applied a small coat of dielectric grease which only worked properly for a couple days at which time the dead gauges returned.
After troubleshooting the wiring and harness connections; I stumbled upon a temporary way to get the gauges to return to normal for sometimes as much as several months.
I would use the turn signal arm and flip to engage the right turn signals; within a 1-2 seconds the gauges would return to life. The dealership technicians were stumped as to why engaging the right turn signal activated the instrument cluster gauges.
After 25 years the gauges still go DEAD occasionally and the right turn signal will return the instrument cluster gauges to normal operation.

That's bizarre! Unfortunately, the indicator doesn't fix my dash.

Update: I found a thread elsewhere talking about the instrument cluster self-test by holding down the trip reset and turning the ignition on. Ran the test this morning... and got some gauge flickering and not much else... except an odd intermittent buzzing.
I guess I'll be replacing the cluster unless anyone has a suggestion of something I'm missing?
Any recommendations on where to find a reliable replacement?!

Not sure if this will help or not still running mine to determine if it has permanently fixed all my issues or not. A while back I asked about some intermittent issues to see if anyone had any ideas that would help, shortly after that I started getting some random gauge issues the speedo and tach (possibly other guages as well just didnt really look at them as i was driving a winding road) would die when turning right and sometimes return with a hard left turn. That got me thinking about the steering column and wiring. A previous owner or someone working on it had a crimp on wire tap on a wiring off the ignition switch plug ( either brown or burgundy with a white trace) the tapped in wire was cut off about 12 inches away, bare and live not good. In addition that partictular ignition harness where it goes down the right side of the column there is a plastic harness support taped to the harness but was no longer connected to the steering column. Not 100% sure if it was the wire shorting at the bare end or the metal of the wire tap having cut away most of the original copper strands on the tapped wire but the movement of the harness not being secure seemed to be tripping the issue and under just the right circumstances would restore the guages. Since repairing that stuff I have approximately 175 miles on my jeep and none of the original issues have recurred. I plan to update my thread with my findings after I getting some more miles on it to confirm the fix for the original issues I was having just for future searches. The big take a way for you would be that there is the potential for something further back for the cluster to be the actual cause of the cluster issue your having. And I apologize for the long winded reply.

Reactions: hear
Not sure if this will help or not still running mine to determine if it has permanently fixed all my issues or not. A while back I asked about some intermittent issues to see if anyone had any ideas that would help, shortly after that I started getting some random gauge issues the speedo and tach (possibly other guages as well just didnt really look at them as i was driving a winding road) would die when turning right and sometimes return with a hard left turn. That got me thinking about the steering column and wiring. A previous owner or someone working on it had a crimp on wire tap on a wiring off the ignition switch plug ( either brown or burgundy with a white trace) the tapped in wire was cut off about 12 inches away, bare and live not good. In addition that partictular ignition harness where it goes down the right side of the column there is a plastic harness support taped to the harness but was no longer connected to the steering column. Not 100% sure if it was the wire shorting at the bare end or the metal of the wire tap having cut away most of the original copper strands on the tapped wire but the movement of the harness not being secure seemed to be tripping the issue and under just the right circumstances would restore the guages. Since repairing that stuff I have approximately 175 miles on my jeep and none of the original issues have recurred. I plan to update my thread with my findings after I getting some more miles on it to confirm the fix for the original issues I was having just for future searches. The big take a way for you would be that there is the potential for something further back for the cluster to be the actual cause of the cluster issue your having. And I apologize for the long winded reply.

I appreciated the detail reply. I'll give the wiring around the column a look. Thank you!