97 TJ Temp Gauge

Jeepag

Hi all,

Just recently got a 97 TJ. The temp gauge was 'broken'. Showing 0 most of the time and then randomly would show max temp. I just replaced the temp sensor to the right of the thermostat housing and while it will show a temp now it still will swing all over the place but it less wild. I have seen some post are there 2 sensors in the TJ? The one I replaced and one on the back of the engine block on the drivers side? I can't find much about that.

If not does anyone have any ideas on what else I should check to fix this gauge?

The coolant sensor wiring goes directly between its connector and the PCM which drives the temperature gauge via a computer databus, just check the wiring and connectors with a continuity tester or ohmmeter between those two points. Look for an intermittent connection, closely examine the connectors and their pins.

Last edited:
The coolant sensor wiring goes directly between its connector and the PCM which drives the temperature gauge via a computer databus, just check the wiring and connectors with a continuity tester or ohmmeter between those two points. Look for an intermittent connection, closely examine the connectors and their pins.

Pretty sure he is dealing with the temp sender on the side of the thermostat housing and not intake air which is in the intake manifold. On a 97, it is the connector you need to be careful of when you adjust the power steering pump to tighten the belt.

Reactions: hear and SSTJ