ECU Temp Good But Gauge Temp Low (Right Above 100)

PartyYam

Got one that feels a little different than what I would expect for a sensor failure. The needle on my temp gauge just clears the second zero in the 100 degree marking when up to operating temperature. Plugged in an OBDLINK bluetooth reader that i've had for a while and the OBD reading shows a steady 200 degrees. I've read that the 4.0 liter only has the one temp sender on the thermostat housing, but could it send a low signal to the gauge while also sending a correct signal to the OBD port? Or should I suspect the gauge? (Going to run the gauge sweep diag this afternoon)

Gauge normal resting position is below. Gauge sweep test (holding down trip reset while switching ignition on) shows a good sweep step. I'm pulling the dash to replace some bulbs anyways so I'll check for corrosion while i'm in there. Interestingly, the bulbs are wonky too. Enabling cruise illuminates the SKIM key green light (but cruise doesn't work) and the "shift up" condition actually illuminates the 4wd light. Hoping things are just plugged in weird in the dash, but that may be foreshadowing to deeper issues, soooo......

JeepTempGauge.jpg

Looks like one of the previous owners had the circuit board/back connectors of a pre-2001 TJ with the front face and orange needles of a post-2001 TJ so the lights didn't line up (which answers why the lights were incorrect). Swapping out the cluster with an eBay unit has everything operating correctly and fixed the low temp gauge.

I have evidently purchased a cluster that doesn't have the cutout for the cruise indicator in the upper left corner, but that can be a problem for future me.