97 wrangler won't crank

Jblauser

Supporting Member
Have switched out starter switch and actuator. Relays good. All lights come on when key switched on. Turn key and nothing. Some times will crank but just cant trust

What do the headlights do when you turn the ignition switch to the Start position??? If they shut off you either have a weak or defective battery or there's a bad/dirty/weak/loose battery connection.

'They stay on. No changes in llights. If you jump starter. It will crank or turn over. But will not run. Fuel system is good. Changing crank sensor tomorrow as well as using a momentary sttart switch

do you have a standard transmission? might be a failed clutch safety switch.

its been a while since I had to do it but you can easily bypass the clutch safety switch by pulling a fuse to test the theory of possible failure if so. im not suggesting this method as a permanent repair though.

Post some info on which specific Jeep you have 2.5l/4.0L 5-speed or auto. This will help us help you.

If you do have a 4Cyl 5 speed use this to trace down power from the Ignition to the starter:
1642732456249.png

Are you sure your actuator switch didn't break again?
How about the starter relay?

Last edited:
When you turn the ignition switch to start the engine; test the ignition switch voltage at the starter solenoid terminal that actuates the solenoid.
What is the voltage or is there any present ?
IF you jump the starter and it cranks sometimes... verify as JB posted above.

Yeah I just realized his title says "no crank" but then he states "If you jump starter. It will crank or turn over. But will not run."

He needs to change the title to Cranks turns over but will not start.

Initiatly, it would not turn over. But sometimes would. I have fixed that problem, put in a whole new relay on fuse block. It now turns over, but will not crank. I changed the crankshaft sensor. Checking fuel pump and solenoid this afternoon. The vehicle is 97 tj, with automatic transmission. Straight 6cyl 4.0 L.

You may be confusing folks here. Cranking and turning over are kinda the same thin, at least to me.
Sounds like it’s a fuel or spark problem. What happens if you squirt a little starting fluid down the throttle body? Are the plug’s getting spark? Is there fuel pressure? Sounds like you’re on the right track with checking the fuel pump.

Reactions: hear
Found the problem, it was the ECM, on the right side of fire wall. It now cranks up, runs with the key. Everything is working as it should. Thank you for all assistance. Once i hooked up a computer on OB2 outlet, and ran diagnostic. She cranked right up and purred like she used to. She required being put in power train mode on computer. New ECM installed and cranks/runs everytime.

You may be confusing folks here. Cranking and turning over are kinda the same thin, at least to me.
Funny I was going to say that.
Found the problem, it was the ECM, on the right side of fire wall. It now cranks up, runs with the key. Everything is working as it should. Thank you for all assistance. Once i hooked up a computer on OB2 outlet, and ran diagnostic. She cranked right up and purred like she used to. She required being put in power train mode on computer. New ECM installed and cranks/runs everytime.
Awesome I glad you got it figured out!!!!