98 Chirping/Squeal

Brad92

I'm at my wits end. I've got a 98 TJ that I picked up a month ago. It has a chirping that is intermittent that seems to be coming from the right side (sounds like the rear). It does not sound like the angry sparrows videos. The noise stops when I apply any kind of brake pressure. When it does it, it can be from a slow roll up to highway speeds. Does not matter if its in gear or neutral. The Jeep doesn't pull while braking and the brakes don't seem to be dragging. U joints on the drive shafts seem tight. Front steering/suspension/wheel bearings seem to be very tight.

I thought it was the rear brakes, so I swapped the drums over to disc using the Crown auto conversion. It still does it.

98 Jeep TJ 5 speed with a 4 inch lift and 33x10.50s. Otherwise stock.

I've been searching the forums for awhile and have seen people with the same problem, but haven't seen much in the way of resolution. Any ideas?

Check the rear brakes for any small rocks that may have worked into them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or the rotor dust shield possibly pushed in and contacting the rotor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rear brakes were literally installed yesterday. The dust shields are straight. The noise was there with the stock drums and still there with discs.

Update: jacked up the rear and ran it through the gears. Looks like the passenger side axle shaft is bent slightly. Gonna order a new one and some bearings and see what happens.