99 Jeep Wrangler starting issues

mrtj99

Supporting Member
I have a 1999 Jeep Wrangler that I bought about a month ago. I started experiencing ignition switch issues; wipers, turn signal not working, etc. Thanks to this forum, I realized it was the ignition switch and bought one at Advanced Auto. Before I could install it, I came back from running an errand, shut the Jeep off, got in it to leave, and got just a click. Just one click. Replaced the ignition switch thinking that was the issue, and got just a click. I tried to jump start it to rule out the battery. Got just a click so I replaced the starter. Still got just a click, just one click. I did notice that the wipers, etc, worked with the key on. Also have 13 volts across the battery terminals. I brought the new starter back to Advanced Auto and had them test it and the battery. Both passed. I'm going to test the lead from the battery to the starter to make sure I have power there. I was wondering if I'm missing anything. Could it be a blown fuse? Its getting close to hair pulling time. Oh, by the way, I had someone push the Jeep. and popped the clutch once it got rolling, and it fired up and ran. But after I shut it down, just one click.
Thanks

Does it start if you turn the ignition switch with a screwdriver? If so i would replace the ignition actuator.

If not i would look into clutch or neutral safety switches

Reactions: macleanflood
You can remove the key part by turning the key with a paper clip on the hole on top...key cylinder slides out...inside you'll see a spot you can turn with a screwdriver.

-Mac

Excuse my ignorance, but how exactly do you turn the ignition switch with a screwdriver? The clutch switch was where I was headed next. Thank you.

Remove the plastic clamshells,use a security torx to unbolt the electrical switch and remove it. You'll see the slot. This bypasses the ignition actuator so you can rule it out.the actuator can bend where they almost function.
You can remove the key part by turning the key with a paper clip on the hole on top...key cylinder slides out...inside you'll see a spot you can turn with a screwdriver.

-Mac

No, like i mention above otherwise you're still guessing about the condition of the ignition actuator since a screwdriver moves further than the key will.

Reactions: macleanflood