99 TJ Gas Overflows While Filling Tank

Joe_Daddy21

Hey all,

I've had this problem for a while, but have just decided to deal with it. Whenever I fill up at the pump, when the pump clicks off, a good bit of fuel pours out onto the ground. It's coming from somewhere on the top of the tank, but I know it't not the filler or vent hose. I replaced the tank and skid plate about 2 years ago after a bit of a trail mishap. (whoops) Since I had everything apart I redid the filler hose and vent with new and put new clamps on as well. I took the cover off the gas cap and can see that the hoses are dry and beneath are as well, so that rules that location out. I've gotten a little tired of people at the gas station telling me I'm leaking so it's finally time to fix it.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

I don't think it's coming out of the filler neck though. My only other guess is the rollover valve, but it'd be difficult to drop the tank and then fill up to see where its coming from. It is not from the top side where the pump goes in.

Also, I read your post before posting this one, and that was a great post.

I don't think it's coming out of the filler neck though. My only other guess is the rollover valve, but it'd be difficult to drop the tank and then fill up to see where its coming from. It is not from the top side where the pump goes in.

Also, I read your post before posting this one, and that was a great post.

The tank is actually quite easy to drop. I've done it a number of times, and it isn't difficult, you just need a second person to help you with it.

If it's not the neck, I would think it would be the rollover valve.

I don't know if all TJ years had that style stopper. I was at a junkyard a couple years ago and they happen to have a TJ frame with fuel tank. I was going to get the cage and stopper since it was easy to access. What was in the tank was not like that. The cage was different colored and appeared to be plastic welded permanently on there as I was not able to get it off. Maybe an aftermarket tank? I don't know. I think I remember it being listed as a 2002.

IMG_6608.JPG

IMG_6594.JPG

IMG_6595.JPG

Reactions: Chris
The tank is actually quite easy to drop. I've done it a number of times, and it isn't difficult, you just need a second person to help you with it.

If it's not the neck, I would think it would be the rollover valve.

Yeah, I dropped the tank when I replaced it after putting a dent through the skid plate and into the corner of the tank. Do you know it is too terribly hard to replace just the rollover valve?

I don't know if all TJ years had that style stopper. I was at a junkyard a couple years ago and they happen to have a TJ frame with fuel tank. I was going to get the cage and stopper since it was easy to access. What was in the tank was not like that. The cage was different colored and appeared to be plastic welded permanently on there as I was not able to get it off. Maybe an aftermarket tank? I don't know. I think I remember it being listed as a 2002.

View attachment 144929
View attachment 144926
View attachment 144927

I'm not entirely sure, Blaine would know though.

I've only ever messed with the tank on my 2005 personally.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Yeah, I dropped the tank when I replaced it after putting a dent through the skid plate and into the corner of the tank. Do you know it is too terribly hard to replace just the rollover valve?

It should be as easy as demonstrated in that video in the thread I linked to in my original post.

It should be as easy as demonstrated in that video in the thread I linked to in my original post.

But if that were the issue, then wouldn't fuel be coming out of the top of the filler neck at where the gas cap is? Mine is somewhere below the neck on the top of the tank itself. I misspoke, and meant to ask if it could be the vent valve.

But if that were the issue, then wouldn't fuel be coming out of the top of the filler neck at where the gas cap is? Mine is somewhere below the neck on the top of the tank itself. I misspoke, and meant to ask if it could be the vent valve.

It could be coming out the bottom of the neck if there was a leak down there. I would definitely drop the tank and inspect things personally.

My 2006 TJ does the same thing. It sort of spits up gas when it's close to being full, kinda like it burbs. I just got used to taking a bunch of paper towel at the gas pump and rapping it around the nozzle so the burped up gas gets caught by the paper towel. Usually happens right when the nozzle is about to click off when to tank is full.

My 2006 TJ does the same thing. It sort of spits up gas when it's close to being full, kinda like it burbs. I just got used to taking a bunch of paper towel at the gas pump and rapping it around the nozzle so the burped up gas gets caught by the paper towel. Usually happens right when the nozzle is about to click off when to tank is full.

Mine does not do that. It does not spill over where the nozzle goes in. It doesn’t come out from where the gas cap screws in. Mine is somewhere farther down on the top of the tank

Go get an endoscope on Amazon and then you can snake the camera in over the tank and see where the fuel is coming from. Then you know what parts to have ready to go on the tank. Otherwise it's just a guessing game. They are only like $20. And work with your smart phone to view it with.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

I'd start here:
I redid the filler hose and vent with new and put new clamps on as well.