A/C compressor locked up

ShawnG55

I can only take the top and doors off so much. It’s hot and I have been wanting to get the AC fixed in my Jeep. Wondering if anybody has done this, if so how easy is it to replace the compressor and where do you recommend getting a compressor? Brand? New? Was thinking auto salvage to save money but also want to do it right and make sure it will work so I prefer new. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
That would definitely be ideal, know of any way to see if it is the head or the actual compressor?

first what makes you think it's the compressor that you called locked up? Just the fact that it's not turning when you turn it on?

there are a lot of steps you should take before determining it's the compressor. Make sure it's getting power, make sure it has enough freon in it for the compressor to come on., Make sure the low and high pressure switches are not defective etc.

if you've gone through all those steps and you're really sure the compressor then I would probably just go new, that compressor isn't that expensive.

But there are some good YouTube videos on how to check if it's the head or not. First thing to check is if it's getting power to the compressor at the plug when you turn it on.

the clutch is just basically a big magnet. When it gets power the magnet activates and pulls the clutch in that makes the compressor turn. The pulley for the compressor turns all the time regardless if it's on or not.

and of course get yourself a cheap gauge and see what the pressure in the system is, if it's too low then it's not going to come on regardless..

first what makes you think it's the compressor that you called locked up? Just the fact that it's not turning when you turn it on?

there are a lot of steps you should take before determining it's the compressor. Make sure it's getting power, make sure it has enough freon in it for the compressor to come on., Make sure the low and high pressure switches are not defective etc.

if you've gone through all those steps and you're really sure the compressor then I would probably just go new, that compressor isn't that expensive.

But there are some good YouTube videos on how to check if it's the head or not. First thing to check is if it's getting power to the compressor at the plug when you turn it on.

the clutch is just basically a big magnet. When it gets power the magnet activates and pulls the clutch in that makes the compressor turn. The pulley for the compressor turns all the time regardless if it's on or not.

and of course get yourself a cheap gauge and see what the pressure in the system is, if it's too low then it's not going to come on regardless..

Honestly I’m just going off what the guy said when he sold it to me. I guess I should do a little bit more investigating myself. I just know for sure everything is locked up and nothing is turning at this point. Thanks for all the help man!

Honestly I’m just going off what the guy said when he sold it to me. I guess I should do a little bit more investigating myself. I just know for sure everything is locked up and nothing is turning at this point. Thanks for all the help man!

He completely bipassed the compressor head and put a different belt on it so it could be driven.

He completely bipassed the compressor head and put a different belt on it so it could be driven.

ah,.

So you probably can't even turn it by hand then..

I had the bearings on a compressor head go out once on a Ford and it locked up, burnt the belt right off because it wouldn't turn.

so there's a chance it could still be the head. But you'll have to look up how to test it and find out for sure

Reactions: ShawnG55
I can only take the top and doors off so much. It’s hot and I have been wanting to get the AC fixed in my Jeep. Wondering if anybody has done this, if so how easy is it to replace the compressor and where do you recommend getting a compressor? Brand? New? Was thinking auto salvage to save money but also want to do it right and make sure it will work so I prefer new. Thanks guys!

If the compressor bitten and the pulley is stuck, the belt will break.

But if the compressor used separately, the AC compressor lock-up will not affect the driving. However, if the compressor and other components (battery lamp) share the belt, it will affect safety.

I'll suggest you go to your local dealer shop and get some experts advice first.

Last edited: