A wintertime option for those that don't have have a garage/ shop

scottgraham

Just another bad habit
Supporting Member
So this isn't a cure all, but just thought I'd throw this out there. I am taking continuing ed welding classes at the local CC, I have been welding (mediocre) for over 20 years. The instructor is super chill and will let us skip on class to work on projects. If a welding class you want is full or not offered a semester, you can sign up for any open class and get shop time. So I'm getting roughly 24 hours of access to the school's (heated) shop/ steel/ equipment/ welders/ insurance for 88 bucks, total. They have better welders than I do and I also don't have a tig, so for less than $4/ hr you can't beat it! The only thing they won't let you build are trailers because the liability is too high.
I hope this is able to help somebody out!

When I was in N. Va a local CC offered one of these classes. I want to say it was two or three hundred bucks and you had to bring your own helmet & gloves. I tried to get into that course for YEARS, but it always sold out immediately. For whatever reason you could only sign up in person, and the class would literally fill up 15 minutes after the registration office opened up.