AC Only working in recirculation mode

Charlie L

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The AC in my '06 LJ only works in the recirculation mode. The fan will not run in the normal AC modes, but, it tuns in all other modes. The resistor and the fan switch are new.
Could it be a vacuum leak?

If the fan doesn’t run in the other positions my guess would be that it’s switch-relates. The vacuum stuff controls *where* the heat/air is routed. The switch controls a/c on/off & fan speed.

you could probably unplug the switch & jumper it to make it come on at different speeds, but I don’t have the wiring in front of me to tell you how. I’m also pretty sure the switch itself is replaceable w/o needing a whole new HVAC control.

Reactions: Charlie L
If the fan doesn’t run in the other positions my guess would be that it’s switch-relates. The vacuum stuff controls *where* the heat/air is routed. The switch controls a/c on/off & fan speed.

you could probably unplug the switch & jumper it to make it come on at different speeds, but I don’t have the wiring in front of me to tell you how. I’m also pretty sure the switch itself is replaceable w/o needing a whole new HVAC control.

I ordered a new control panel from Amazon. The '05 & '06 are, for some reason, more expensive and harder to find individual switches for. If it doesn't work I'll send it back and go back to the drawing board.