AC removal

Wampaging

I got lucky and found a TJ at a junk yard that has AC. How do I remove it and what do I need to connect it to my TJ? Would it be easier to buy a kit?

Last edited:
I found this kit on Rock Auto, does it have everything I need?

Screenshot_20210714-001830_Chrome.jpg

There's no way I'd try to install a junkyard A/C. There are far to many things that could go wrong, resulting in a bunch of money spent to cobble a system together. In terms of completeness, the best kits I've seen are available here. I've installed their parts, along with a couple systems. Their customer service has always been exceptional, when I had parts or installation related issues.

https://jeepair.com/collections/wra...c-kit-4-0-liter-engine?variant=32066977267797

What year TJ are you removing the A/C parts from ?
In your Profile you state your TJ is a '97.
The '97 year is known to have different electrical connectors than later years in different areas of the vehicle.
You will need to look at the electrical connectors for the low and high pressure switch cutouts, A/C compressor clutch and the climate control console....
Where the A/C compressor is mounted to the engine could be different depending upon what year the donor vehicle is.
Parts needed to swap from the donor vehicle to your vehicle assuming they are in good condition are any brackets in the engine compartment, refrigerant hose positioning clamps...
I agree with Irun that a complete kit for your model year would be a better choice...

Last edited:
Reactions: Wampaging and Irun