AIL Storm II "Commander"

Squatch

Master Thread Derailer
Supporting Member
440px-Sufa2-id2008-1.jpg

I never knew...

AIL Storm II "Commander"
AIL Storm mk II
Starting in 2006, Automotive Industries Ltd. (AIL), an Israeli automaker and major supplier of the Israeli Security Forces, began delivery of their 2nd generation of "Storm" military jeeps, manufactured under licence from Chrysler, to the Israel Defense Forces. The M-242 Storm Mark II, known in the field as the "Storm Commander" was now based on the Jeep Wrangler (TJ). The new model incorporated a number of significant changes – both in regard to its predecessor, as well as compared to its Wrangler basis. Perhaps the most obvious change is the addition of dual passenger doors, making the Storm II the first five-door Jeep Wrangler derivative.[5][6][7]
The AIL Storm II had a vehicle length of 4,463 mm (175.7 in), and an extended wheelbase of 2,931 mm (115.4 in) — almost the same as that of the JK Wrangler Unlimited: 116 in (2,946 mm).

Hey! Cool, except for the mud flaps. I had no idea they had done this

love to have one, but I would remove the milk jugs, just not my favorite thing and it is the only thing I would want to change.

One thing I hate about the JK's is the squared off doors. But seeing a 4 door TJ, I can see why the did that...

That is one cool ass looking rig though!!

Reactions: JMT
Still got the fat belly. What do you think is in the raised area of the top? Guns, guns and more guns.
More cool stuff:
"Storm II features rear Dana 44 axles and front TJ Dana 30s, factory designed slip yoke eliminators, and the added safety of standard airbags. The soldiers' comfort was addressed as well with the addition of standard rear air conditioning and a compact disc player.

Storm II is also produced in an armoured version, and is offered with an optional 2.8 litre VM Motori turbodiesel, automatic transmission, right hand drive, and run-flat tyres. AIL is capable of completing ten vehicles daily. Due to recently passed tax laws, a civilian version is not yet available in the local market."

A lift and some 35" tires would go a long way toward making it bad-ass. You're Mopar Rock Crawler front bumper and a Warn winch...oh, man. Pure sex! Bet it doesn't suffer from any driveline vibes, either! ;) We need someone with some Photoshop talent to have at it! Anyone?

Love the look...I wonder if that's how they came up with the idea of a 4 door JK...?...Obviously they didn't look hard enough haha

Reactions: KCsTJ
Still got the fat belly. What do you think is in the raised area of the top? Guns, guns and more guns.

My guess is the raised area of the top is simply for headroom when wearing your full kit. Those helmets add a couple inches to your seated height. Nobody likes being wedged into a vehicle in that stuff. lol

Still think a 2-door would look even better. 4s just look too big/long/ungainly. Walked around a JK Rubicon 4door in the school parking lot today that was lifted (maybe 2-4") and it just... no. The whole point of a Wrangler is that it's small and agile and can go anywhere. When you slap two extra doors on it like that... It's like a convertible sports car - when you want a car that goes fast and corners well, you don't rip the roof off and kill rigidity!

There's a good reason we call e46 M3 convertibles "LOLverts".

Reactions: Squatch and JMT
My guess is the raised area of the top is simply for headroom when wearing your full kit. Those helmets add a couple inches to your seated height. Nobody likes being wedged into a vehicle in that stuff. lol

Still think a 2-door would look even better. 4s just look too big/long/ungainly. Walked around a JK Rubicon 4door in the school parking lot today that was lifted (maybe 2-4") and it just... no. The whole point of a Wrangler is that it's small and agile and can go anywhere. When you slap two extra doors on it like that... It's like a convertible sports car - when you want a car that goes fast and corners well, you don't rip the roof off and kill rigidity!

There's a good reason we call e46 M3 convertibles "LOLverts".
Small, agile and can go anywhere, that is so true. There was someone on here one day who was upset that their TJ couldn’t keep up with the Toyota’s running fast rocky trails. My thought was, well, the short wheel base will chatter your teeth to death if you run it all out across that terrain. It’s made to go slow and crawl over stuff or go through mud, unless you do some kind of serious changes. Every off-road vehicle has its purpose, there is no one vehicle that does it all.