Air conditioning causing overheating

IPerkWVU

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lately when I use my AC it prompts my engine temps to increase. Is this a sign of the radiator failing to do it's job? AC still blows cold.

Recently replaced the water pump and thermostat.

It would not hurt to try rinsing out your radiator and AC condenser with a hose when she is cooled down just to remove any possible blockages in the cooling fins.

Don't think so, got it pretty tight after the water pump.

I flushed the system while I was in there not long ago. Thanks for the ideas though!

He was suggesting the fan clutch is slipping internally, nothing to do with how tight it is. The clutch is filled with viscous liquid the expands when warmed up to engage the fan.

He was suggesting the fan clutch is slipping internally, nothing to do with how tight it is. The clutch is filled with viscous liquid the expands when warmed up to engage the fan.
Ok, thanks. What would be signs of that failing? The fan is running frequently.

Ok, thanks. What would be signs of that failing? The fan is running frequently.

When the engine is up to temperature and shut down try spinning the fan by hand, if it spins easily then typically the clutch is failing. If there is resistance to movement generally it's good.

Reactions: Daryl
Maybe elaborate. Does it do that just idling and stop and go traffic, or also on the highway? And how hot does it get? How far to the right of the 210 mark?
Outside temps definitely play a factor. For example, with 65 degree temps, can run the AC just fine, 80+ the engine temp will steadily build over the course of a few minutes.

Without the AC running, the engine is probably around 215-25ish. This is with the G05 coolant and new water pump

Reactions: Davidtj
Outside temps definitely play a factor. For example, with 65 degree temps, can run the AC just fine, 80+ the engine temp will steadily build over the course of a few minutes.

Without the AC running, the engine is probably around 215-25ish. This is with the G05 coolant and new water pump
You said you replaced the thermostat as well, do you recall the brand and opening temp you used?

I was having similar issues when summer hit this year... Ended up being a combo of an old fan clutch (the thing spun easily, the new one has a lot of resistance) and tons of dirt and whatever else in the bottom half of the radiator. I was shocked at how much crap was stuck between the condenser and the radiator, took lots of spraying until the water ran clean.

I was having similar issues when summer hit this year... Ended up being a combo of an old fan clutch (the thing spun easily, the new one has a lot of resistance) and tons of dirt and whatever else in the bottom half of the radiator. I was shocked at how much crap was stuck between the condenser and the radiator, took lots of spraying until the water ran clean.
I'll give the fan clutch another look and hit the outside of the radiator with the garden hose to see if I can clear out any mud

If your fan clutch is ok (spins readily will cool, stiffens when hot), I suspect either a bad/clogged OE Mopar, a poorly designed aftermarket radiator, or a bad water pump. And if you used tap water to mix with the coolant, your radiator might be clogged with hard water deposits.

If your fan clutch is ok (spins readily will cool, stiffens when hot), I suspect either a bad/clogged OE Mopar, a poorly designed aftermarket radiator, or a bad water pump. And if you used tap water to mix with the coolant, your radiator might be clogged with hard water deposits.
Ok, thanks for the tips on the fan clutch. Can't say on the manufacturer of the radiator, looks like an old Mopar but is pretty old based on the rusty brackets near the top, isn't leaking anywhere currently.

I flushed it with about 6 gallons of distilled water earlier this summer, all types of bad stuff came out. hasn't
had anything but g05 and distilled water since.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I just recently bought a MOPAR radiator and it has the MOPAR logo molded into the plastic right above the drain. You might be able to look there.

IMG_8383.JPG

Reactions: IPerkWVU