Alternative to JKS Quick Disconnects?

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Cleaning up some slop in a 2000 TJ 4.0 with nothing but a RC 2.5" lift installed.

Need extended sway bar links along with mounting bushings. Going to order the JKS adjustable rear end links and have the JKS front Quicker Disconnects in my cart. From what I read, both are a top level choice. That said, my TJ is a DD and I won't be doing any difficult terrain other than the local beach and maybe a dirt road or two to a camping site. I never disconnected the front links on either of my JKs.

I don't want to waste money on a feature I doubt I will ever use so have been looking for an alternative front link similar to the rears.. adjustable but without disconnects. Can't find anything (other than Rough Country which I would like to avoid).

Suggestions for fixed front sway bar links appropriate for a 2.5" lift?

Reactions: Elyse8743
Disconnects are designed to make it easy if you do it often but it isn't really all that difficult just to unbolt the lower end of the links. If you aren't going to disconnect often then don't put on disconnects at all. Even the best ones aren't great compared to the factory style links. If you unbolt the stock links once from the axle and put anti-seize on the bolts it's pretty easy to unbolt them again and just zip tie them out of the way the once or twice you need to.

(I have a buddy that wore out his JKS disconnects and needed new bushings before he used them once, total waste of time and energy in my opinion)

Reactions: rubicube
The only issue I see with keeping the stock links is the over extended top joint and of course a link too short for the extra lift. That's why I think the Zone ones like I linked are best for the OP. They cover the needed length for lift and don't have a ball joint to wear out from improper angles.

I run the Zone disconnects, they are fine. The rubber bushing end doesn't stay centered and tends to bind but it's not a big deal. Factory links are about $10 each on rockauto and don't wear out due to angles being off, they break if they are over-extended. It isn't a problem until they break, then it is. Personally I'd see how far the factory links get you but I didn't mean to suggest the Zone was a bad option, just maybe not what I'd do.

Reactions: imahnu
Thank you.

The description is misleading. Says 0-2 inch in one spot and 0-3 inch in the body of the description. At 7 3/8" they are the same length as stock so I think these are a skip.

I assume there aren't any options that adjustable but that don't disconnect. Like the JKS rear links...

I run the Zone disconnects, they are fine. The rubber bushing end doesn't stay centered and tends to bind but it's not a big deal. Factory links are about $10 each on rockauto and don't wear out due to angles being off, they break if they are over-extended. It isn't a problem until they break, then it is. Personally I'd see how far the factory links get you but I didn't mean to suggest the Zone was a bad option, just maybe not what I'd do.

My front bar is angled downward by about 15-18 degrees. Need about 2-3" additional length.

The Zone front disconnects.. No bushing in the top? Any issue with this? Noisy?
Rear Links.. also unclear as to what to use for a 2.5" lift. Options for 0-2 or 3-5.. When in doubt do you go shorter or longer?

The Zone front disconnects.. No bushing in the top? Any issue with this? Noisy?
Rear Links.. also unclear as to what to use for a 2.5" lift. Options for 0-2 or 3-5.. When in doubt do you go shorter or longer?
The top heim seems fine, I've had them on since early 2018 and they have a bit of play on one side but are still quiet. I think the lower bushing keeps them from rattling around. For the rears I'd measure what you have and guess what you need and then call the vendor to get the length of what they sell. You never know what 3-5 really means.

@MikekiM I didn't think to ask but what was the reason for not wanting to install the RC links you mentioned in the OP?

With the Zone or even RC link you do get longer length because of the mounting style but either way with your sway bar being angled down that much it wont be enough for you with the Zone sway bar links.

I used to have the same lift as you and the RC sway bar links outlasted everything else from them and the only reason I replaced them was for JKS discos. They held up great for me.

I assume there aren't any options that adjustable but that don't disconnect. Like the JKS rear links...
Make your own out of stock ones.

41QZGs9YzyL.jpg

@MikekiM I didn't think to ask but what was the reason for not wanting to install the RC links you mentioned in the OP?

With the Zone or even RC link you do get longer length because of the mounting style but either way with your sway bar being angled down that much it wont be enough for you with the Zone sway bar links.

I used to have the same lift as you and the RC sway bar links outlasted everything else from them and the only reason I replaced them was for JKS discos. They held up great for me.

Just my own baggage. I had a host of RC parts in one of my JKs and they didn't stand up to the NE winters as good as many other parts

I would not have chose the RC lift.. it was already installed and had next to no miles on it. I already have Rancho's in my cart..
With the surface roads as bad as they are in the NE, the RC shocks are killing me.