Aluminum vs Steel Bumper

It's clear several of the most anti-aluminum types in this thread have never run large aluminum parts on their Jeeps. I've been running aluminum rear corner guards, aluminum base plate under my steel rocker guard , an aluminum front bumper,and internal aluminum bracing/reinforcements for many years. With personal experience instead of making assumptions, I wouldn't change them.

And for those just making the simple "steel is stronger than aluminum" statement, there's a lot more to that subject than you're thinking. If steel was the best at everything structural, then things like aircraft bodies would be steel which of course wouldn't work. Aluminum is also used as reinforcement for items where its additional strength is only possible to be added because of its lighter weight.

Everything in silver on my previous TJ below is aluminum other than the steel rub rail bolted onto the aluminum base plate of my rocker guards... I'm still running those same products plus my front bumper in aluminum but they're now anodized black in my current TJ.

CIMG3557.jpg

The below is an aluminum reinforcement for the rocker guards.
CIMG3545.jpg

This is an aluminum reinforcement plate for my rear tub's rub rails.

CIMG3537.jpg

This last pic is of my aluminum Savvy bumper on my current black TJ... if any naysayers say it's not tough enough for the toughest offroading around, come out & see lots of Jeeps with that bumper in action in areas like Johnson Valley.

IMAG1875cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: derekmac and JMT
Same chemical process (oxidation) just different result. My current skid is steel, and heavy enough that I use a jack to remove it. What do I lose by replacing one skid that is heavy, with another? I'm using a jack both times...
True, the stock skid is heavy, not sure how heavy.

UCF 1/4” steel = 77lbs
UCF 3/8” aluminum = 40lbs

I was thinking the aluminum might give significant relief!

Last edited: