Am I missing an exhaust gasket?

Ron Hall

TJ Enthusiast
Installing Eastern converters and front pipes on my jeep. The muffler bolts were tough and i am installing dorman studs. There was no gasket at this location. With just the flanged pipe, the splines on the new studs are going thru into the flange on the converter pipe. Is this normal or is there a gasket of some kind missing?

I just installed them on my LJ last weekend. I bought a pace setter mid pipe from rock auto. I was really impressed with the quality of that pipe. I was able to clean up the old hardware enough to use it but I put the new studs In anyway. I just pushed them thru the top of the manifold flange and used an oversized nut as a spacer to suck them down in. I wasn't able to get a socket on them though so I had to tighten the nuts up with a stubby boxed end wrench. I think the new pre cats were a little larger than stock which made it a little tough. This was the first time installing exhaust myself without having any leaks.
Ps. Sry for rambling on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4a0caa20051b80cf07e2ea18b249479b.jpg

You can kinda see the stud and nuts at the top of the picture.

I just installed them on my LJ last weekend. I bought a pace setter mid pipe from rock auto. I was really impressed with the quality of that pipe. I was able to clean up the old hardware enough to use it but I put the new studs In anyway. I just pushed them thru the top of the manifold flange and used an oversized nut as a spacer to suck them down in. I wasn't able to get a socket on them though so I had to tighten the nuts up with a stubby boxed end wrench. I think the new pre cats were a little larger than stock which made it a little tough. This was the first time installing exhaust myself without having any leaks.
Ps. Sry for rambling on.

My manifold bolts cleaned up well. Where i installed the studs was on the muffler/converter.