Another Noob Suspension Question

MikeO

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Are these control arms? And more importantly, should they be twek (crooked/twisted -see pics)? I'm headed back to the mechanic tomorrow and wondered if this is something I should have corrected under warranty, but I don't know enough about it. Thanks

a.jpeg

b.jpeg

c.jpeg

d.jpeg

Are these control arms? And more importantly, should they be twek (crooked/twisted -see pics)? I'm headed back to the mechanic tomorrow and wondered if this is something I should have corrected under warranty, but I don't know enough about it. Thanks

They like to twist but in theory they should come back to center. But as long as the jam nut is set and the front and rear bushings line up with each other you should have no issues. Yes those are control arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MikeO
Those are Terrible junk. Take them off immediatly, and send them to me. I'll dispose of them properly!

Haha, J/K. It looks like those are Currie Adjustable Control Arms...which are about the best control arm you can buy. They are a high mis-alignment joint, which is why the gold part can be twisted like that. I don't have a set, so I can't say whether that is "normal" but they are designed to twist under flex conditions, so I'd say its not a problem.

Those are Terrible junk. Take them off immediatly, and send them to me. I'll dispose of them properly!

Haha, J/K. It looks like those are Currie Adjustable Control Arms...which are about the best control arm you can buy. They are a high mis-alignment joint, which is why the gold part can be twisted like that. I don't have a set, so I can't say whether that is "normal" but they are designed to twist under flex conditions, so I'd say its not a problem.

Haha... They are Currie. I'm trying to get this build (1st and only) right. Glad twisting is normal, but they don't move when I tug on them with my hands. Probably takes more than a tug. Thanks.

Reactions: Mike_H
Yes, that is normal for Currie arms. The JJ's don't self center. It takes a little muscle to move them with a pry bar. The only thing you don't want is one joint going one way and the other going the opposite direction, then you might get some clunking noises going down the road.

They like to twist but in theory they should come back to center.
No they will not come back to center, they stay at wherever they were moved to. Being cocked and crooked like that is normal for a Jeep that gets wheeled on a trail uneven enough to make the control arms flex as designed.

Reactions: MikeO and JMT
Yes, that is normal for Currie arms. The JJ's don't self center. It takes a little muscle to move them with a pry bar. The only thing you don't want is one joint going one way and the other going the opposite direction, then you might get some clunking noises going down the road.
This may be my clunking noise as I noticed mine was like this. May be time to check things out.

Reactions: bobthetj03