Another turn-signal / parking light problem

PJOJeep

2000 TJ Since New
Supporting Member
Well, didn't have much luck with the LED replacements for the parking/turn-signal lights, so I went back to standard filament bulbs and still have issues. This is a strange one for me. I used all new bulbs, front sockets were replaced along with both fender lamp sockets, and a new flasher module (same results with both the original flasher module and the EP26 type for the LEDs). With the parking lights turned on, the rear lamps work fine, both front fender lamps are on, but neither of the front parking lamps turn on. Turn signals appear to operate correctly...as well as emergency flashers. When I removed the left front bulb, the left fender light went extremely dim. I tried a different bulb, didn't light but fender light went back to bright. Grabbed an LED lamp, it lit up fine, but fender light stayed dim and the dash indicator for the left turn was on solid.

I guess my next option is to pull apart the wire harnesses to both front lamps and look for damaged wires.

Did this problem exist before you started changing everything out, or is it a result of changing things out?

A little bit of both, emergency flashers on multifunction switch quite years ago, then fender light on left quit, replaced socket - fixed problem with that light. I can’t remember why I ended up replacing front sockets, but it was likely when I wanted to go to LEDs. I did all of this before I found this forum.

I really stumps me on why removing the front bulb causes the fender bulb to get real dim, or stay dim when I inserted several different LED bulbs, all 3 of which lit up...but not a regular 3157 I just bought.

I guess I could buy some newer LEDs for front and rear, put the EP26 flasher back in and leave regular bulbs in the fender lights. OR try replacing the multifunction switch. I was reading something somewhere about doing that to fix the dash lights staying on for turn-signals...so when I had it opened up to pull it, I took some electronic cleaning spray and flushed it really good....low and behold, my emergency flasher switch worked again so I figured that fixed it, but maybe not.

I suspect the front bulb sockets ground connections not being good. You may be back-feeding power from the parking light circuits into the turn signal circuits.

LED bulbs would be brighter because they don't need as much power.

Well, tried the LED swap today...new 3157A LEDs in the front, new 1157A LEDs in the back, new 194A standard bulbs in fenders, and an EP26 flasher installed. Other changes; both front sockets replaced along with the left fender socket. All sockets were butt spliced with solder and marine heat shrink.

RESULTS

Parking light switch on/ign off - Front and rear nice and bright. Front fender lights extremely dim, barely on. Dash lights are on, including both turn signal indicators. If I turn on emergency flashers, front stay on solid, fenders flash, but barely visible, rear flashes and all dash light flash.

Emergency Flashers On/ign off - Front and rear flash, fender light barely visible. Dash lights flash as well as turn signal indicators also flash.

Ign ON/Turn Signals with lights OFF - Front and Rear Turn signal flashes fairly bright, however, the opposite side also flashes real dim. Entire dash flashes; both turn signal indicators, back lighting, including the odometer!

I inspected all of the wiring to the front lights, visually looked fine. I removed both of the grounds at the radiator support (G102 & G103) and cleaned them and re-installed.

Any thoughts?

Just pulled turn signal switch, with the switch removed and both wiring connectors disconnected, I turned on parking lights...dash lit up just like before, including turn signal indicators. Clearly backfeeding the dash somehow...

Replacing just the front lamps with standard ones caused the front lamps to go off, and fender lamps are real bright.

Tried cleaning all the grounds under the hood still no change, cut out the left side turn signal socket, with the wires just twisted together, I added a new ground wire back to the battery, didn’t help...I was running out of things to change. Ordered new LED’s for the fender lights just to try...well, right now everything seems to work properly...Those LED’s on front and in the fender are really bright! Might have to order some newer ones for the rear to brighten them up! IF something else happens, I’m going to replace the turn-signal switch.

Reactions: Chris