Any mrblaines or Jerry Bransfords near Dallas?

KCsTJ

TJ student
Supporting Member
I need a TJ guru to do a "walk around" and a "crawl underneath" to show me what I have/don't have. My 160k 97 tj runs great now but i would like to find some expert Jeep eyes (in/around Dallas?) to give it a good analysis, GOOD and BAD, so I can keep this beauty restored and used as my dd + more
She's got almost no rust so is worth restoring n showing it off. ;)

Reactions: jchadscud
I’d love to do the same. I’m also in Dallas and new to TJ’s. I feel like the mechanic has done a good job generally, but would love to go through it with a guru for a more specialized look.

KC if you don’t mind me piggy backing I’d gladly contribute cash, whiskey, beer, cigars or whatever the vice for some knowledge!

Reactions: KCsTJ
So, what are you trying to achieve? Are you experiencing any issues currently? Posting up some good, detailed pics would be helpful.

Rust is the biggie but your's is good with that so you are ahead of the game. A dry steer test to check for worn/loose suspension would be something to do. Close inspection of all rubber bushings and boots. Look for any leaks. Check u joints for looseness or rusty looking dust around the caps. Pull the wheels and check brakes and front wheel bearings. Pull differential covers and look for anything broken, excessively worn, or heavy metallic in the oil. Change trans fluid and look for heavy metallic contamination.

And of course if you run into anything odd or have questions you know where to post :D

So, what are you trying to achieve? Are you experiencing any issues currently? Posting up some good, detailed pics would be helpful.

Rust is the biggie but your's is good with that so you are ahead of the game. A dry steer test to check for worn/loose suspension would be something to do. Close inspection of all rubber bushings and boots. Look for any leaks. Check u joints for looseness or rusty looking dust around the caps. Pull the wheels and check brakes and front wheel bearings. Pull differential covers and look for anything broken, excessively worn, or heavy metallic in the oil. Change trans fluid and look for heavy metallic contamination.

And of course if you run into anything odd or have questions you know where to post :D
thanks Rob, first Jeep here, just want to make sure I don't miss anything regarding general maintenance right now, This little 2.5 scoots around now like its brand new, so I'm after dependability ( I can do most engine stuff ). I'm really weak on lifts and all that but getting that learning curve flattened out by reading good info here, this is a terrific forum with decades of jeep experience !

Please don't place me at the same level as mrblaine, I just focus on the easy questions. Mrblaine is the real honest-to-goodness technical guru, he has forgotten more than I will ever know.
You are just being humble mr bransford, we all read your advice/opinions daily and being a former forensic investigator I can tell you know your stuff and I appreciate your humility, speaks well of you sir. :)

Along the lines of what KC is saying, no specific problems, but having someone who’s owned a TJ for many years give your Jeep a look would be good piece of mind!

I live in DFW. Most everyone here takes their jeeps to Dallas Offroad off of Emerald St. I took my jeep there for an initial look over when I first bought and eventually did my regear there. Look them up on facebook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My bad.... Did I fail to mention I have cash... ☺ or on 2nd thought i may check out a local jeep club and pick their brains
My bad.... Did I fail to mention I have cash... ☺ or on 2nd thought i may check out a local jeep club and pick their brains
If you have the cash buy a plane ticket for Jerry and he will take care of it for you.