Any tips or tricks to getting 4x6 speakers to fit in front dash?

jchadscud

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Got some Rockford Punch 4x6’s for the front dash location. Is there a trick to getting them properly fitted? I was able to get them in, but when I put the dash covers back on they bulge a bit in between the two screws.

Crutchfield says they fit with no modification or bracket.

I can snap some pics tomorrow. I did some googling and it seems like the early TJ’s 97-00 or 97-02 may require a bracket.

It looks like the easiest solution may be the 5.25” adapter and going to a 5.25” speaker.

Got some Rockford Punch 4x6’s for the front dash location. Is there a trick to getting them properly fitted? I was able to get them in, but when I put the dash covers back on they bulge a bit in between the two screws.

Crutchfield says they fit with no modification or bracket.
Did you mount them in front of the brackets or behind? Behind would give more space for the dash cover. Just taking a stab. 4x6 should fit right in...

Reactions: skrelnik
Got it fixed. I took it to a friend who owns an audio shop this morning. On the early TJ’s there is a metal bracket that needs to be removed for a 4x6 to fit correctly. I didn’t get a chance to take pics of mine, but found these on another site:

451176de46c04b983e081bf47aeaafec.jpg

37d20420aec78e537707eb3fd423c87f.jpg

Ouch! Never liked cutting factory support structure to fit accessories like speakers..... 5 1/4's fit with a simple trim ring adapter. Cutting is something that I'm not fond of like cutting plugs off the wiring harness instead of an install kit with adapter pigtails FWIW.....

Reactions: KCsTJ
Ouch! Never liked cutting factory support structure to fit accessories like speakers..... 5 1/4's fit with a simple trim ring adapter. Cutting is something that I'm not fond of like cutting plugs off the wiring harness instead of an install kit with adapter pigtails FWIW.....

Yeah, I am a “do it right” kind of guy as well. The metal piece was pretty flimsy and appeared to be a bracket for the OEM speaker rather than a factory support structure. Since the late TJ’s don’t have that piece and there’s nothing I’ve seen about early/late dash fitment I can’t imagine that it’s anything critical.

Someone chime in if I’m wrong and I’ll report back if my dash comes off in my lap!

Yeah, I am a “do it right” kind of guy as well. The metal piece was pretty flimsy and appeared to be a bracket for the OEM speaker rather than a factory support structure. Since the late TJ’s don’t have that piece and there’s nothing I’ve seen about early/late dash fitment I can’t imagine that it’s anything critical.

Someone chime in if I’m wrong and I’ll report back if my dash comes off in my lap!

I worked at a Stereo Shop for a good while, it was a sweet gig and I had access to toys at 10% above cost.
Anyway, that is just a speaker support. The TJ had a Pod that the speakers bolted into(in some). My LJ has them, it’s an ‘04. I have replaced the speakers and the sound is better. I have a Marine Amp that I intend to add, it will boost the output a good bit. Look at the amps, you can usually get a good one that has Bluetooth fairly cheap.

Side note- I have seen an ammo can speaker with a Bluetooth amp and 2 4” kicker speakers that pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk