Anyone find a fix for the low oil pressure reading?

HasTJ

Anyone find a fix for the low oil pressure reading? Everything seems fine. No knocking or lifters tapping. Heard there was an issue with them.

Mopar seems to be the only brand that works correctly.

That being said beg, borrow or buy an actual oil pressure gauge and screw it into the same port and verify.

-Mac

I ordered one of those... highly suspicious that it was genuine Mopar. No logo on the sensor nor official packaging...that being said it's the only one out of five...my original, another Amazon buy, an O'Reilly's, a Napa Echlin that works.

Really thinking of a two gauge pod just forward of my AX-15 shifter on that console with an oil and fuel pressure gauge.

To the OP you can put a T on that 1/8" npt fitting and many of us are running the factory sensor and an aftermarket gauge of sorts.

-Mac

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I did notice the Mopar units don't have any logo. All the ones I've bought were made in Mexico. Even ones I purchased directly from Mopar sites. Who knows these days. :unsure:
p.s. Mine was sealed in a white bag with Mopar logo.

Last edited:
Reactions: macleanflood
What do you consider "low"? It also depends on the tear of your Jeep. (Fill out your profile).
Early model TJs had a real oil pressure gauge. In about '01, (I think), they changed to nothing more than an animated Dummy Light because SOME people kept complaining that the oil pressure varied too much. They didn't know that it's supposed to! The animated Dummy Light in mine only shows about 35 PSI. As long as it does so, I know that I'm fine.
I have thought about installing a real gauge, but it's low on The List.

What do you consider "low"? It also depends on the tear of your Jeep. (Fill out your profile).
Early model TJs had a real oil pressure gauge. In about '01, (I think), they changed to nothing more than an animated Dummy Light because SOME people kept complaining that the oil pressure varied too much. They didn't know that it's supposed to! The animated Dummy Light in mine only shows about 35 PSI. As long as it does so, I know that I'm fine.
I have thought about installing a real gauge, but it's low on The List.

I have a '97 TJ. It's got an actual oil pressure Guage. Normally after the oil warms up after running all day. I know the oil pressure isn't actually low. I just get tired of hearing the dummy light buzzer go off.

I have a '97 TJ. It's got an actual oil pressure Guage. Normally after the oil warms up after running all day. I know the oil pressure isn't actually low. I just get tired of hearing the dummy light buzzer go off.

Most people that own the same jeep say there's is the same way.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Mopar seems to be the only brand that works correctly.

That being said beg, borrow or buy an actual oil pressure gauge and screw it into the same port and verify.

-Mac

Update, Took oil pressure sending unit off of my cherokee (has the same motor) found out it was bad, so I put the wrangler unit back in and it seems to be working fine. Dummy light didn't come on even after a 4 hour round trip in 90 degree weather. Must have been a loose connection or something.