Anyone know anything about trade / apprenticeship programs?

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I'm going to continue gathering information and look into it more for sure.
I have friends that I’ve met through work in the Kansas City area that do well with the architectural and ornamental sheet-metal workers union but it’s still hard to beat what the IBEW has in most places

Hmm, this is something I haven’t considered as I thought I was too old (41). I have a 20 year pension I can draw at 50, so I’m not looking for a huge pension but working it until 55 or so wouldn’t be so bad.....

I made the jump into being an electrician last year at 40 years old after my previous career became something I did not want to be involved with any more. It was a pay cut, I have to go back to school again (one night a week) for 4 years. But I expect to get back to where I was in a few years and surpass what I would have made in not too long.

There are multiple reasons why making the jump and taking the momentary hit is one of the best decisions I have made in a long time.

I’d like to discuss this more if your willing as we are very close in age and I’m looking for a job.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I'm going to continue gathering information and look into it more for sure.
My experience is ancient and particular to one local. No idea how it applies now, in your area, or with the IBEW but I'll hitb you with it anyhow.

We would generally interview 100 or more applicants over two days for around ten openings. That means each applicant only got a few minutes of time (answering set questions) to stand out from the pack. The panel consisted of trustees from both labor and signatory contractors. The LU Training Coordinator observed and maybe a State lrepresentative sat in did too. There were three main focus areas for the trustees. What does the applicant bring to the training program? The apprenticeship is thousands of dollars worth of education and the trustees don't want it squandered by immaturity or flakiness. And they want someone who can hack it academically. Management trustees will be looking for an apprentice that has work ethic and a work history that indicates he/she will work hard and make them money on a job site. Labor trustees will be looking for an apprentice that will represent the union brotherhood well. And both sides loved to get someone with previous trade experience either military or working a nonunion job. That apprentice might come in as second or third year shortening the time to turn out and opening an early apprentice training slot. And the labor guys liked that there was one less skilled "rat" out there. You don't have electrical experience so focus on your other strengths. Go out of your way before hand to meet and talk to journeyman from that local union and management of a signatory contractor if you can. Find out what they want to see in an apprentice. I know, easier said than done and networking always is. And one of the people you meet might be a well respected union member or have "an in" with a trustee and that persons written reference can go a long way to getting you short listed. There is a lot more to it than that. The point is treat this like something you really want. Put in the effort learning about the work, the union, the program, and be able to show them what you bring to the table and can do for them.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Zorba
I'm 32 and a teacher. For several reasons, I'm seeing less and less of a future in this career. I'm thinking about changing paths completely. I've been thinking off and on about career in a trade instead. I want a job that will always be in demand, where I can make a halfway decent salary. I'm not trying to be rich, I just don't want to worry about money every time a semester ends and I want to have decent health insurance coverage. Developing more marketable skills would be great.

Was looking around at HVAC and electrical apprenticeships. I love learning. I'm a hard worker and I don't have an ego about doing grunt work while I work my way up. I'll dive in head first if I think there's a future and value in it.

How realistic is this idea? Am I too old? Am I going to go further into debt paying for additional schooling/certificate programs? Any thoughts are welcome.
Don't let your age dissuade you. You'll regret it later. I was turning wrenches in the auto industry for about a decade & decided to join the military right at the age cutoff at the time because I just wasn't into it. Being 30 & having my peers by rank in their late teens or early 20's really sucked for a little while, but it worked out and let me get into a different career that I really love.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Just FYI, with the UA (pipefitters) there are certain skills that can lead to a fast track and in this trade it's welders. In my 40 plus years I have seen locals bend over backwards to bring in qualified welders to meet labor demands. I worked a lot with the NYC local 638 and good welders were always a commodity and were well compensated.

My experience is ancient and particular to one local. No idea how it applies now, in your area, or with the IBEW but I'll hitb you with it anyhow.

We would generally interview 100 or more applicants over two days for around ten openings. That means each applicant only got a few minutes of time (answering set questions) to stand out from the pack. The panel consisted of trustees from both labor and signatory contractors. The LU Training Coordinator observed and maybe a State lrepresentative sat in did too. There were three main focus areas for the trustees. What does the applicant bring to the training program? The apprenticeship is thousands of dollars worth of education and the trustees don't want it squandered by immaturity or flakiness. And they want someone who can hack it academically. Management trustees will be looking for an apprentice that has work ethic and a work history that indicates he/she will work hard and make them money on a job site. Labor trustees will be looking for an apprentice that will represent the union brotherhood well. And both sides loved to get someone with previous trade experience either military or working a nonunion job. That apprentice might come in as second or third year shortening the time to turn out and opening an early apprentice training slot. And the labor guys liked that there was one less skilled "rat" out there. You don't have electrical experience so focus on your other strengths. Go out of your way before hand to meet and talk to journeyman from that local union and management of a signatory contractor if you can. Find out what they want to see in an apprentice. I know, easier said than done and networking always is. And one of the people you meet might be a well respected union member or have "an in" with a trustee and that persons written reference can go a long way to getting you short listed. There is a lot more to it than that. The point is treat this like something you really want. Put in the effort learning about the work, the union, the program, and be able to show them what you bring to the table and can do for them.

Thanks I really appreciate this input. As reassuring as it was for them to be understanding of my situation, it definitely occurred to me that it probably meant other people were also asking the same questions. I hung up the phone thinking it would be more competitive than I originally thought for sure.

My son is 22 and is in his second year as an apprentice with the International Union of Operating Engineers. He's making about $23 an hour, working about 55 hrs a week. And his health insurance is paid from an account that gets paid into for him beyond that hourly rate.

I'm very proud that he was able to get that job. I'm also jealous as hell because looking for any decent job when I graduated was almost impossible due to everyone from the steel mills and elsewhere looking for work and I would love to have been running a steam shovel.

I have a contact that I'm going to chat with tonight - she's near the end of her IBEW apprenticeship and I think it's the exact program I'm looking into. I've done a lot of reading and research over the last week, especially in the last couple days. Got my transcripts delivered and have been brushing up on my math to prep a little for the aptitude test.

Given that the next app day isn't until the first week of October, I've got plenty of time to prepare and continue looking around for other jobs in the meantime. I've also got plenty to keep me busy with teaching and other side work so we'll see what happens. Nothing to lose and everything to gain at this point. I'm looking forward to it.

There was a segment on the local news talking about the lack of new blood in trades, especially electrical and plumbing. Here in MA the average age for those guys is 53 and 54 respectively.

So I'd say you're plenty young to change jobs. Most of those guys are closing in on retirement.

Reactions: Not_Invented_Here_