Are all SYE transfer case seals the same?

LonestarTJ

Supporting Member
My transfer case is leaking pretty badly from the rear output seal and it seems from the case half. I’m going to pull it out of the TJ and disassemble to redo all the seals and sealants.

But I’m having trouble finding the rear output seal for my SYE. Are ALL SYE seals the same? Don’t know what brand it is and the previous owner doesn’t remember. I havnt been able to I.d. the brand yet. How the heck do I know what seal to get?

I am pretty sure they are the same. If you are careful removing it there should be a number on the seal. Also you could call advanced adapters and I bet they can help you figure it out like measure the diameter of the hole and the diameter of the drive line, and they would be able to tell you for sure I bet.

I'm fairly certain they are the same as well. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

I have a 99 wrangler and also had some trouble getting the right output shaft seal the autoparts suppliers kept coming up with the wrong seal.I found the right one by putting in the transfer case number 231J and it showed a duralast transfer case seal 4370n and fits perfect

Will do. What am I looking for in a worn out chain?

I guess by check I mean replace if you don't know the history. They stretch over time. If its real bad you would probably notice noise in 4wd and there may be marks on the housing where the chain hits. Its relatively inexpensive and cheap insurance.

Reactions: LonestarTJ